New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The full Monti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default The full Monti

Ok,

I am posting this as my offical build thread. I will post pics and try to document it the best I can along the way. I get in a hurry a lot of the time and I don't document as well as I should. This might take me a while to complete too. I am gonna have to depend on others to do a few things for me. That and cash flow.

Since I just discovered I can boil in my kettle using a steam jacketed bottom only. I have found my method. It is also pretty scary how the pieces are falling together too. I have a good bit of the parts required to get me started.

I am going to start with my kettle. I want to get it built and completed so I know how to place other items around it. I have really toyed with a wood stand but I think I am ultimately going to build out of steel. I am going to use standard mild steel tubing. I believe I want to use 1" x 3" or 1 1/4" x 3" tubing. I will paint it with black single stage automotive paint.

The system will be a single heat source and it will all be steam fired. I will make my water and steam on demand. The mash will be a steam infused via the recirculation. No steam manifold in the tun. I am going to have 1 pump and it will be a single tier setup. I am going to use a cooler for the MLT because I just can't pass up on the fact that it is an all inclusive vessel. It will however not be a permanent part of my rig. The kettle and my burner exhaust stack will be the setup. I am going to have a shelf that either slides out, or tips up to hold the tun. This way I can empty it, wash it, dry it, and put it away while my boil is going on.

Short of that, this is gonna be the same way I build all my stuff. A fly by the seat of my pants deal. But please don't hold any comments, I will discuss options and ideas. This build is on a budget due to the fact that I have built part of it already,(my boiler) and spent so much time and money in the research side trying to learn about steam.

So here we go.
Cheers everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #2
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So, like I mentioned. My kettle is first. I have an idea and the great thing is it doesn't cost me any money. Not yet anyway.

So I need to close off the bottom skirt area and provide a way to get the steam in and out. I started a MLT project a few months back and I never went any further with it. So, it just so happens that the way I cut the keg to use as a MLT I can use the top for my kettle bottom. It will also provide me with the low spot for drainage that a standard sheet of sheet metal wouldn't without some work. My testing kettle's sheet had a X break in it. So it gave me the low point.

Here is a shot of the MLT I cut up a few months ago.

I am using the top from that project. Its nice and straight. The only dent or worble it has is in the handle area.

If I turn it upside down and set my kettle on top of it........I have a nice fitting bottom, a drain, and still have a nice solid bottom to build a place for it to sit on and have all the access to the drain.

Last edited by GreenMonti; 05-26-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This is a closer shot of the fit and what I will have to weld up.

This shows a better idea of what I have in mind. Sometimes I don't explane my self very well. It easier to see the void here.

This kinda shows my idea for the drain. I could just use a tri-clover but I don't want to for some reason. Thanks to a friend here on HBT, I have this fancy reducer and it fits perfectly. I plan on removing the neck on the lid and just using the reducer. It will then go to the 1/2" coupling that is going to be cut in half cause I don't need the whole thing. It will all be shortened and it will look much better when it is done. This is going to be the first project to tackle. I will get it all done and then weld it to the kettle bottom.

Thanks for checking this out.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any reason you cut the MLT so short? I like the idea of the tri clover drain but hell if you have the parts and time you may as well fully fabricate it. I look fwd to your build.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
Any reason you cut the MLT so short? I like the idea of the tri clover drain but hell if you have the parts and time you may as well fully fabricate it. I look fwd to your build.

When, I was going to use that as my MLT. I figured it was plenty big for 10 gallon batches that way. It will still hold 10 gallons cut down like that. That lid was left that way so a motor could easily be mounted with a tri-clover. Also, aside from just being a little shorter, it would still match the kettle sitting next to it, and not have the large air space to rob more heat along with it being SS.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
GC89
Recipes 

I'll be watching this, I have a 40 gallon jacketed steam kettle that I have been contemplating how to heat.

Black Harp Brewing

Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC89 View Post
I'll be watching this, I have a 40 gallon jacketed steam kettle that I have been contemplating how to heat.

About all I can tell you is your gonna need a lot bigger boiler then I have.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm I'm not sure I quite understand how its going to work. Does steam go in through the bottom and out through the holes in the skirt?

That shiny brand new keg is a thing of beauty. It'll almost be a shame to see it get cut/welded/etc. Almost.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Steam is fed under controlled pressure to the cavity in the keg bottom that he is going to create, and water will be allowed to drain from the bottom.
I'm sure that keg will be just as pretty if not nicer once he gets through with it.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
ScottyBones
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

awesome.

subscribed!

Quagmire: "lets play drink the beer!"
Peter: "what do i get if i win?"
Quagmire: "another beer!"
Peter: "Oh man, i'm going for the high score!"