The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #691
pig140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only plan to put one sixth barrel in it - ever. My question is if I'm only putting one keg in it, should I still be expecting some of the problems others are having with temp control? I was hoping I would be fine with the existing t-stat since I'm only cooling one keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #692
csh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post
Thanks for replying, I'm kinda going for a no frills build. I want it to hold just one 1/6 barrel and some stuff from my bar.

But, I was actually asking if anybody built it IN - as in built into a cabinet.
With this sort of fridge, you can not build it in directly. That is assuming when you say "build it in" you mean placing the walls of the cabinet in direct contact with the side walls of fridge. The heat exchanger is in the side walls and that is what requires you to have some air space between the fridge sidewall and the cabinet sidewall.

There are built-in versions of wine coolers and mini-fridges which are intended to be placed wall to wall. These have the heat exchanger in the bottom. You can (normally) visually identify these by an air vent or grill on the bottom front of the cooler and by the astoundingly high price tag.

You can do a "faux build-in" where you leave space around the fridge and add some sort of trim on the front, so it looks (kinda) built-in but really has 3/4" to 1" on each side. This is enough with a fan forcing the air in. I use a 4" computer fan. There are pics about 6-8 posts up of my incomplete build-in.

Since you said you wanted simple, I'm going to have to go the entire opposite direction and say that if you really wanted to trick it out, you could build it in if you put some other heat absorbing and distributing system next to the fridge heat exchanger... Perhaps, a glycol cooled wall?

I only mention this because I remember that in order to get a 1/6 bbl into this fridge, you have to make serious changes to the insides. There's a post a ways back (pg 30 to 45???) with pictures and details of the conversion.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #693
pig140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm almost finished with the bar section that will house the kegerator. The right side of the fridge will be open to shelving under the counter. The left side will be open to an 8" hidden void in the bar wall, which will have a vent at the bottom. I also plan to cut out a 4" square section of the fridge's side panels in the bottom back corners to open up the compressor area for air flow. Hard to explain but I'll post pics when I'm done....

Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #694
pig140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So... with door modifications and as far as commercial kegs - a 1/6 will fit by itself and a 1/4 slim will fit by itself. Anybody put a 1/4 squat in there using a shelf in line with the hump? If so, I assume there's no room for CO2 and gauges...?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #695
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's not the cleanest kegerator, but it'll get the job done. Removing the mess on the door and keeping the CO2 tank on the outside, I can comfortably fit two 3 gallon kegs and a 5 gallon keg.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #696
pig140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know this kegerator build will fit a SQUAT 30L (euro quarter barrel) as long as the temperature controller is out of the way. I just did this build and want to run it on the original temp controller for now. I just need an extra inch in width, so my question is:

Can I just leave it like this, or do I need to cover all this up somehow for safety reasons/moisture/etc....

Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #697
elganso
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Can I just leave it like this
I think this is probably fine; the plastic panel probably didn't do much to keep out moisture, etc. I just took some aluminum tape and secured everything to the side as flat as I could... probably the same effect as that plastic molding and got it out of the way when I stuff cornys in there (though I can still access the temp control).

Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #698
pig140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for your response! I found some really thin flexible plastic sheeting. I was thinking of using that to cover it. Would it be safe to use some small screws to secure that to the inner fridge lining or could there something above and below the temp/light housing inside that area that I need to be wary of?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #699
elganso
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
could there something above and below the temp/light housing inside that area that I need to be wary of?
Unfortunately, you're on your own for that one. All coolant lines (I think) are on the top. Sides radiate heat, but not sure if there is anything to "hit" with a screw. Dunno; I went with the tape since it was both quick and low impact. YMMV.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #700
GatorBru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is the consensus on the need to purchase a new temp controller?

Quick Reply