New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #501
homewrecker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Great job, Dave! I'll be adding a cooling fan to my tower as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #502
davebach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
Great job, Dave! I'll be adding a cooling fan to my tower as well.
Thanks homewrecker... the fan made all the difference in the world. There is MUCH more even cooling and the tower has been excellent at maintaining the same temperature as the fridge.

And based on your design I see that if I really wanted to squeeze in a 1/4 slim later on, I might be able to do it!

Dave

Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #503
Kieran
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about 99% done with my build after finallllly receiving a replacement tower from kegconnection. I added a third shank to the two-tap tower. I cut out the foam using the rubber gasket holes as a template, and ended up cutting it perfectly. I was able to get the bolts to clear the refrigerant lines at the four corners of the square opening I made in the foam and bolted the tower directly without any need for plywood support. I'm still trying to decide if I want to run a fan up into the tower. I have a Ranco temp controller, dual regulator, and dual two-way distributors to feed 3 ball lock disconnects and one D style coupler to hopefully run a commercial 1/6th barrel and 5 gallon at the same time. I will check the fit on that combination this weekend.

First pour: NB Nut Brown Ale

Old 04-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #504
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was waiting for this one to go on sale, unfortunately for me BestBuy raised the price of it by $10.00. Bastards..........

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-mother-son-fermentation-build-261067/

Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #505
dontspamjay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN View Post
I was waiting for this one to go on sale, unfortunately for me BestBuy raised the price of it by $10.00. Bastards..........
Have any friends that work at Best Buy? The employee price is $128.00.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #506
Eco
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

New poster here. Thought I would share my fridge buying story.
For the past three weeks I have been trying to buy one of the Lowe's Frigidaire 4.4 for $179 but after three weeks of them telling me that there would be one in next week I decided to drive the hour and a half to my closest best buy and plunk down the $199 for one of theirs. I called ahead and said they had two.
After reading this thread and noted how many were damaged I insisted at looking at it before they loaded it and I drove an hour and a half home. Sure enough when they opened it, the back edge was dented. Dented mind you nothing broken or smashed. I said as I am paying full price I would like to see the other one. The disgruntled employee trudged off to get the other one. While taking their time the manager came around and asked us why we were standing there. I told him I was not opposed to taking the dented one as long as it still had the warranty which he said it would have the same one year warranty for a discounted price. He was no less than elated to give me back $60 to take that one.
My cost $140, the dent will never be seen in the back corner. Also of note when I got it home the freezer hinge was broken too which I was taking out anyway. After hearing of everyones experience with damaged units and my own experience with seeing how these things are packaged. I think there is a very slim chance of getting one that isn't damaged. My conclusion is that this is a great unit for conversion and for lack of the manufacturer packaging it well enough, many new fridges could be had for conversion for much less than full retail.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #507
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I just bought this fridge yesterday. I've decided to run the copper pipes, but had two questions.

1. Should I drill one hole to fit both pipes or a separate hole for each pipe? Haven't bought a hole saw yet and I've seen this done both ways.

2. How long should the copper pipe be? I'm guessing 16" maybe - few inches into the fridge, few inches for the thickness of top, and then most of the way up the tower.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #508
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I just bought this fridge yesterday. I've decided to run the copper pipes, but had two questions.

1. Should I drill one hole to fit both pipes or a separate hole for each pipe? Haven't bought a hole saw yet and I've seen this done both ways.

2. How long should the copper pipe be? I'm guessing 16" maybe - few inches into the fridge, few inches for the thickness of top, and then most of the way up the tower.
I drilled two holes for the pipes, yes drilled, it wasn't super pretty but I'll never see them again. The nice part about two holes is that the copper pipes actually touch the cooling plate and are held in place by a snug fit. Since they touch the plate it helps them stay nice and cold. I really don't feel the need for a fan. Mine are 16'' and descend a few inches into the fridge.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #509
BaldManBrew
Recipes 

I'm to the point of mounting the tower. How did you guys secure your tower? From what I have read, I purchased a piece of 1/2 plywood, but are you guys screwing the tower to the top/inside of your fridge?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #510
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldManBrew View Post
I'm to the point of mounting the tower. How did you guys secure your tower? From what I have read, I purchased a piece of 1/2 plywood, but are you guys screwing the tower to the top/inside of your fridge?
I haven't actually done this build yet, but it looks like most people just mounted right into the plywood. I saw one guy mount through the wood and into the fridge, but he had to relocate the mounts to miss the cooling lines. It seems like a big hassle to do it that way.

My plan is to just mount through the top and into the 1/2" thick plywood. I haven't received my tower yet, so I don't know how long the screws are....but as long as they aren't super long, it should be fine to just mount into the plywood.

Quick Reply