New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
kracken41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If anyone figures out a good way to drill the top of this please let us know. This looks like a good bang-for-the-buck fridge, but due to space limitations I have to run to a tower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #32
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got this a few days ago for my keg setup. As the OP stated, the top is on there fairly solid, not sure what it would take to get it off so you could find the coils to drill around, but I am sure that I do not want to risk damaging it to find out. I'm going with a front mount setup. Two taps, fairly close to the center (horizontally) and up high. If I later expand to two 3gal corny kegs on the compressor shelf and two 5gal cornies up front, I'll put two more taps on either side of the original two.

I'll try and remember to take pictures when I start my conversion, if i can find my digital camera.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #33
kracken41
Recipes 

Has anyone actually completed a kegerator with this fridge yet? I am trying to get a kegerator built for St Patty's day and am slightly concerned about temperature consistency with this model. I'm curious if anyone has been able to verify that this fridge will hold a good temperature.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #34
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll have a conversion complete by the end of the week. Will definitely do my best to remember the camera.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #35
kracken41
Recipes 

Just bought one of these at Lowe's tonight and will post my experience as well.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #36
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I literally JUST posted my build thread on this.

To the guy asking about temps: Seems fairly consistent, but I don't have any exact temps for you right now (they were sold out of fridge thermometers). I can tell you this, turned up high, with a full keg and 10# co2 tank inside, this fridge will maintain sub-freezing temps (yeah my beer lines froze and I couldn't get any co2 to flow, freaked me out for a sec). Turned low, it will maintain ~45*F. I've got it on about 3 now which is mid-range. I'll toss a bottle of water in it and take the waters temp tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #37
rth97601
Recipes 

I've set up the same fridge, and my temps seem awfully low, in comparison--different reads on different thermometers in different places in the fridge, but at the lowest setting I'm getting reads between 34 and 38 and plenty of ice forming on the top as condensation freezes--and that's with a full keg and 5# CO2 tank (I've had it gassing up for a week now). Room temp fluctuates between 60 and 66, which might have some effect, but overall it's a bit cold for English-style ales. I've got an external thermostat on order, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to warm it up a few degrees without having to buy another piece of equipment, I'm all ears.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #38
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you get the settings backwards?

1 on the fridge is the warmest setting, 7 on the fridge is the coldest setting. I have mine halfway between 2 and 3 and it maintains low 40s. If I crank it to 7 it sits below 30*. My room temp is approximately the same as yours.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #39
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

dont forget when building with one of these its best to use a fan to circulate the air. this will allow you to keep it at a warmer setting and prevent it from cycling. i pull air up

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #40
rth97601
Recipes 

I've got it on one, right on the edge of the off switch ... I did have it up higher, and it got below freezing when it was empty. I actually went out and bought a fridge thermometer to confirm, since I didn't trust my mash therm or my wife's cheese therm (suited as they are for higher temps). Still the same numbers--maybe I ended up with a random superfridge, though that seems odd. So how does the fan fit into it? I don't have one--is it something freestanding, or do you wire it in?

Quick Reply