Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
BrianP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Were you able to relocate the thermostat in order to fit the 2nd keg?

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #22
shrimpcreole
Recipes 

Thank you for the pcitures. I just purchased the fridge, and would love to see your final product. If it's not a problem, would you mind posting more photos???

Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #23
hoppingmad
Recipes 

How about a false top? Make one out of timber, so you can screw the tower to it, and recess a drip tray into it, and then either glue it on, or screw some "locators" ino the timber so it just sits on top but can't move.

Looks like the coolant lines in the freezer section don't come all of the way to the front of the fridge, so if it were my project, I would risk drilling a hole in front of where the freezer door used to be and run the lines out from there. If you have to, you could run the lines under your false top to get back further to the rear of the fridge. Sure this will make for a little bit more warm beer on the first pour, but that's not a really big deal. Maybe some 90 degree elbows on the lines where they go up, so the lines inside can point straight back, giving you the ability to have a bit of excess line behind the kegs, then looped back to the tops of the kegs?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm interested too as I sway this at Lowes today, but passed on it due to the freezer on top.... This is interesting.

Any final pictures?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
CornerBar7804
Recipes 

Default keep me posted

Any new news on the build? I had been looking for a good conversion fridge for over a year, and recently bought the same fridge. You may be able to fit a larger keg inside if you "shave off" the molding that runs down the middle of the door, especially if you keep out the CO2 tank. I think I am going to run the lines out the side and to a tower mounted on my bartop but am worried about drilling through something....

Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #26
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anyone attempted the slurry method? How about drilling/cutting small hole in the plastic lining up top and probing for lines with a coat hanger? I don't have one of these, but I know members like CornerBar7804 could benefit from others experiences

Welcome to the threads CornerBar7804!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #27
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump. Any news or updates? I'm curious about how the relocation of the thermostat went. Pics would be appreciated.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #28
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
Bump. Any news or updates? I'm curious about how the relocation of the thermostat went. Pics would be appreciated.
Ditto... A friend just gave me the exact same fridge. Im going to start the conversion next week. And even better, I have an Irish stout going to secondary tonight. I would love for that to be my first kegged brew!!!!! Any updates would be awesome.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #29
sullivtl
Recipes 

I converted this fridge a few weeks ago and plan on kegging my first batch next week. First of all, thanks for posting the initial feedback on this fridge. I removed the plastic housing for the thermostat and light and used a little duct tape to tape to the wall of the fridge a little further back (could probably do something a little nicer looking, but I wasn't worried about what it looked like behind the kegs). That allowed me to fit two cornys in the frigde perfectly. I ran a shank through the front of the door and plan on adding another tap in the near future. Two homebrews on tap!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #30
rth97601
Recipes 

I just picked one of these up myself, and I'm fishing for others' experience ...

I got this for homebrew dispensing, but anybody put any smaller commercial kegs in this? if so what size? I can get fairly inexpensive 1/6 and 1/4 kegs of good local beer, and have a Sankey coupler that came with my secondhand conversion kit (and I'm thinking of building a mount so I can rest a regular 1/4 on the compressor hump). It looks like they should fit, but I am wondering if anybody's run into any problems with this before I actually buy one. It's no real loss if it won't work, but the versatility would be nice ...

Also, how did the drilling out the drain plug (or other external tank hole) go? It's really narrow out of the box, and won't take the 9/16 tubing without a lot of drilling out. What about running it through the side?

One last one ... what's the best configuration for a 2-tap front-mount setup? I presume high up, so the shank won't hit the kegs, but is there anything else I should be keeping in mind?

Thanks

Quick Reply