Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire FRT03CNGW - Full dismantle - move guts to new chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Psych
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Added pics of the chamber in it's almost complete state, just need a top (putting on a glass wine-fridge door that weighs like 30lbs but is insulated), sealing, waterproofing (somewhat) the interior and eventually chuck some wood around it to make it look presentable. Then of course adding the compressor and such to it.

I have an STC-1000 ("Ebay temp controller") coming in the mail, the wine fridge controller parts worked perfectly mated up to the compressor however I couldn't override the highest temperature being 50f without an external controller doing all the work anyways. I'll salvage it for future project parts, otherwise none of that wine fridge will be used in this build.

Function over form for now, hope to have this setup and working real soon! Will use the regular thermostat for now and adjust the course adjustment screw to get to 64f or so, that'll do until I get the STC-1000!

So excited to see this actually progressing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
Psych
Recipes 

It's woooorrrrking! YAY! Updated the first post!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych
It's woooorrrrking! YAY! Updated the first post!
Hey congrats!

Small piece of advice: put some holes in that plywood over the hot side coils - that heat needs to go somewhere and right now its trapped in a box ...

You'll get better efficiency out of the unit if the hot side can "breath"

I know this may not make sense since in the original fridge it was sandwiches in the foam around the chamber too. But in my experience they're closer to the outer skin which ends up acting like a radiator. The plywood is not going to do that as well as the sheet metal of the original body.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
Psych
Recipes 

That's a good call. Originally I was intending on putting them all in a metal box of some sort, and having a fan on them that kicked in with the compressor. I'll see what I can do on that and still have it look OK, thanks for the feedback!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Psych
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post
Hey congrats!

Small piece of advice: put some holes in that plywood over the hot side coils - that heat needs to go somewhere and right now its trapped in a box ...

You'll get better efficiency out of the unit if the hot side can "breath"

I know this may not make sense since in the original fridge it was sandwiches in the foam around the chamber too. But in my experience they're closer to the outer skin which ends up acting like a radiator. The plywood is not going to do that as well as the sheet metal of the original body.

Good luck!
So on this note, I took some measurements of the fridge running in it's pictured state, no mods, just plywood sides. It was running for maybe 2 hours solid, the compressor was hot as heck and the heat dispersion lines were really hot too. Like couldn't hold my hand on them for more than a second, compressor was too hot to touch for half a second.

The temperature in the walls of the unit was maybe 120f or so, maybe more, I couldn't get my probe in very far.

So I modded my front plywood panel, I put on some metal plates on the back of it (salvaged from that wine fridge), ones that had grills on them. Cut some holes in the plywood for those grills to vent through and my temps were down to about 110f on another similar test. Not good enough.

I then mounted two fans on the far right side, near the top, computer fans basically (from the wine fridge) and now my temps in the plywood walls don't go above 85f.

The compressor still gets hot, but not as much, and the lines are not as hot either. In fact, the unit cools faster too, it was a noticeable difference!

I'd like to still add a fan pointed directly at the compressor though.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Just wanted to say, great looking build, and very ingenious execution. You have my respect, thanks for sharing.

John

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #17
Psych
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
Just wanted to say, great looking build, and very ingenious execution. You have my respect, thanks for sharing.

John
Thanks

Hoping I can give back a little by documented it as much as possible.

Boy does mail from China take forever or what, come on STC1000!

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Yeah, mine took about 2 weeks to get over the pond.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Feurhund
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Know I'm late to the thread, but question

I am using the guts from my Haier Kegerator to cool a larger under bar insulated chamber. Just started my dismantle and expect it to be easier as the radiator part is exposed. I will have to bend the black tube down a bit to fit it height wise though.

I am intensely paranoid and just wanted to know how delicate these tubes are. you bent them against a caulk tube, but how carefully. I am just having trouble tackling this part as i dont want to trash a perfectly good kegerator.

Any advice on technique etc. is appreciated and great build!

tn375_large_haierblack_bak113010102226.jpg

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm not sure you don't have some coils in the right side of the fridge - right side in that picture, left from the front. Check those copper lines from the compressor and make sure there aren't some going into that wall.

Quick Reply