New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frigidaire 5.1 cuft keezer ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
scn001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What are the dimensions of the lower part of your fridgidaire? Mine is exactly 16.5" by 10" or 11". Keg Cowboy here in Houston says their cornies are 8 1/4" in diameter. I'm guessing you have similar if not identical dimensions on your frigidaire..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
PininfarinaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keezer - Kenmore 5.1 cu ft

I've been following along on the thread and am ready to build a keezer as well. I just bought a new Kenmore 5.1 cu ft from Sears for $169. I'm using the Johnson Controls analog thermostat override ($69 from my local brew shop) and am already cold crashing a 5gal blonde at 40F. (This thermostat override unit is very accurate and installs in 30secs as the freezer plug simply plugs into the back of the Johnson Controls plug - see pic)

If you're like me, you brew about once a month and don't store more than about 10gals at a time, so I plan to use my Keezer for both a fermentation chamber and a keggerator. I've attached some photos, but the combinations for this 5.1cu ft unit are:

1. a 5gal carboy and two 3gal kegs
2. a 7gal fermenting pail and one 3gal keg
3. a 5gal keg and two 3gal kegs

Using the 3gal kegs will allow me the option of adding a low (2-3") collar - from what I've read, don't go with the tower mounted on the top as your lines won't be chilled and you'll end up with foam, PLUS, the top sheet metal of most new freezers is thin (cheap) and won't bear the weight of the tower unit.

I'm going to explore drilling into the front side of this freezer - I'm aware that there are cooling lines, but I believe I can easily remove the insulation and determine how to make a clean drill. Has anyone tried drilling into the side?
keezer2.jpg

keezer1.jpg

johnson.jpg

Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I'm going to explore drilling into the front side of this freezer - I'm aware that there are cooling lines, but I believe I can easily remove the insulation and determine how to make a clean drill. Has anyone tried drilling into the side?
Attachment 29384

Attachment 29385

Attachment 29383[/QUOTE]

DO NOT EVEN TRY TO DRILL THROUGH THE SIDES!!!!! The lines inside are very close together also these lines get HOT enough to feel the heat through the surface. How hot do you think the beer/shank/faucet is going to get?...............my.02....

Quick Reply