Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fridge carboy cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
skyzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fridge carboy cooler

Hi, I've been out of the homebrewing loop for about a year now, but now its time to start it back up!
One of things that frustrated me in previous times of brewing was keeping the temperature right. I was constantly having to monitor it and worry it was too high. Although I made quite a few great beers, there were some that I felt were fermented too high and therfore had some weird off flavors.

What I was thinking of doing is using my mini fridge as a fermentation cooler. I live in northern ID, so heat is only a problem for about 3-4 months, and its not too bad. I dont have AC in my apt, but the highest it ever gets to is 85 in here.

Problem is, my mini fridge is only big enough to hold 1 carboy, and I was going to expand that. I was planning on removing the door from the fridge, and building sort of a chamber attached to it, with lots of insulation, and seal it all up with silicone. It doesnt have to be perfect, just enough to keep the ambient air in the chamber at like 64-68 or so.

Would this idea work? I'm kind of on a budget now, and living in an apt I dont have room for another big fridge.

Thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
COLLINH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yes it will work I would search "fermentation chamber" there are lots of threads of tiny chambers all the way up to huge one many have pictures & step by step tutorials
-Collin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply