The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Frementation Chamber \ Keezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Ogdenenator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Frementation Chamber \ Keezer

Greetings from Wisconsin, where the temp is now dropping into the 20's at night. Alittle too cold in my garage for brewing, even lagers now and it will get down to near -10 during the winter months.

So in order to keep my sanity i have decided to construct a Fermentation chamber so that i my brew lagers and ales all year long with out worry.

I found this Freezer Conversion while doing some research on google. I have a 13cu ft freezer i would like convert to a fermentation chamber.

1. Here is what i would like to do - be able to have 2-3 batches fermenting at the same time, Some in primary, some in secondary.
2. Start putting my beers in kegs
3. Have Ales as well as Lagers fermenting at the same time.

I would use 2 inch foam board to section off the freezer and set the freezer to the coldest temp that any contents would need, then use a heat source to heat any of the compartments up to the temp they need.

Does this sound right?
Or should i start looking for a couple of smaller freezers?

Thanks for the Help

Primary - California Common
Secondary - Air
3 Gal - Air
Bottles - Leap Year Mead
On Deck - Amber Ale, Cider, Holiday Ale...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
smoes
Recipes 

i like the idea. I would like to see it done with a bigger freezer to see how many carboys/pails you could get in there...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
BrewVegas
Recipes 

Default Plastic Tub + Aquarium Heater

Before I bought my second chest freezer I used my original (14'cu) freezer to ferment Ales and store my kegged beer. I saw the thread that you linked to, but used a different solution. It was on another thread somewhere on this site.

I went to Walmart and bought a plastic tub big enough to fit a my glass carboy. It believe the tub was around $4 bucks and it was by the Christmas Stuff a few years ago. I also bought a large aquarium heater for $30 at Walmart, but you can get it from PetSmart, too.

As you can see in the picture, I cut out a hole in the lid for the top of the carboy to poke out. I also drilled a hole in the lid for a thermometer. The aquarium heater is beneath the lid submersed in water and it worked great and kept it to within a few degrees. I belive I had the Johnson Temp. Controller for the chest freezer set around 45-50 degrees and the tub of water was kept at 70 degrees with the aquarium heater, no problem

Good luck...

Quick Reply