Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > A free way to prevent running off too much sparge water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
sa1126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default A free way to prevent running off too much sparge water

I've had a few batches where I've had low OG from too much water and am not good enough at eye balling it. I took an extra spoon, filled up my kettle gallon by gallon and marked it on the spoon. I then took my trusty old angle grinder and cut out a few notches...

This should help prevent it. I marked it for each gallon and then at 6.25

On draft: null
Coming soon: AHB session pale ale, dunkelweizen, rye blonde and oktoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Brewmex41
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That's brilliant. I was going to ask hbt how to measure my wort. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
reynolds5520
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A dimple from a punch would make a visible mark without the notch to snag on things.

Edit:

Of course, the notch IS much easier to see in a steamy kettle or tun.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It's even more important to not use too much sparge water at all. You should be able to calculate (or find online) your grain absorption amount from the mash. You should also know your boil off rate. Once you know your Pre-boil volume and the volume of your first runnings, you can easily determine you sparge volume.

You can use the notched spoon to verify of course, but I trust my calculations. Also, brewing software like Beersmith calculates it for you based on your grain bill and mash thickness. Takes all the guess work right out of it.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister View Post
It's even more important to not use too much sparge water at all. You should be able to calculate (or find online) your grain absorption amount from the mash. You should also know your boil off rate. Once you know your Pre-boil volume and the volume of your first runnings, you can easily determine you sparge volume.

You can use the notched spoon to verify of course, but I trust my calculations. Also, brewing software like Beersmith calculates it for you based on your grain bill and mash thickness. Takes all the guess work right out of it.
I agree and plan to start doing better work calculating. I have been working off of recipe kits that have very high level directions.

How does beer smith work? Is it a web based app?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also, as a side note boiling 212F water has4% more volume than 70F water. Anthing above 70F has a slightly higher volume to it. So your notches will be off a bit when your starting the boil and the wort is around 150-160, but shouldn't be by much.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126

I agree and plan to start doing better work calculating. I have been working off of recipe kits that have very high level directions.

How does beer smith work? Is it a web based app?
Beersmith is not web based but it does have cloud storage applications. They just released a full scale mobile app that allows building and editing a recipe for around $10 I think. The computer program runs around $25 I think but it is worth every penny. I know pros who use it.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Beersmith is not web based but it does have cloud storage applications. They just released a full scale mobile app that allows building and editing a recipe for around $10 I think. The computer program runs around $25 I think but it is worth every penny. I know pros who use it.
Cool. I might download it for my ipad if they have it...that would be a big help brewing this weekend.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:

This only applies to batch sparging. When you fly sparge, you just stop sparging when you reach your preboil volume. Certainly many people do rough calculations to determine how much water to heat up, but it doesn't play an important role (unless you run out of water).
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply