The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Foam lid for 10 gallon mlt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
egurney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Foam lid for 10 gallon mlt

I've read in some other posts about using foam insulation to create a lid to effectively make an mlt smaller to improve on heat loss.
Can I use the stuff they sell at HD in foam boards for this (white/blue)?
Can I wrap in foil tape to keep it from chipping off into the mash?

Thanks,
Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only issue I would see with aluminum tape is the adhesive. We use the "Nashua" brand aluminum tape at work, and when that stuff gets wet, it gets messy as hell...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I suggested to someone on here yesterday to use heavy duty tinfoil to cover the foam, rather than any tape..I'd be worried about the glue backing in the tape softening and leaching into the liquor...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
egurney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good deal. I was trying to create something that would be reuseable, but I guess for cleanliness, rewrapping before each use probably would be a good idea anyway.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egurney View Post
Good deal. I was trying to create something that would be reuseable, but I guess for cleanliness, rewrapping before each use probably would be a good idea anyway.
Since it's preboil, cleanliness is not crucial..Besides something tightly wrapped in tinfoil would still be easy to clean, you could hose it off easily, prolly even wash it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
egurney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good point.
What thickness are you thinking as far as 'heavy duty'?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Good point.
What thickness are you thinking as far as 'heavy duty'?
I dunno..I was thinking whatever thickness the heavy duty reynolds foil they have at the grocery store is...The wide roll...

I'm sure there's other foils out there, that might be ruggeder but we know this one works with food...

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
egurney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will do. I was thinking that you were talking about some industrial stuff that I didn't know about.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Will do. I was thinking that you were talking about some industrial stuff that I didn't know about.
Funny...I was thinking YOU were talking about some industrial stuff that I didn't know about.

Quick Reply