Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > FOAM burst at the beginning...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
jordanreichmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FOAM burst at the beginning...

I have replaced EVERYTHING I can think of in my kegerator kit, but I still get a shot of foam when I start a pour. If I let it go into a cup, then put a new one under it, I get a perfect pour. However, if I just try to pour it into one cup, the whole cup is filled with foam. I have the PSI and temp set at the recommend settings (between 8 and 10 and 38 degrees). Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

sounds like an issue with the lines, like warmish beer in warm lines until the beer comes out of the keg. How do you chill your lines?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I get this too. Currently I just don't care about it really, wait half a minute before drinking. I've been meaning to try and fasten my beer lines to the freezer walls somehow to keep them cool. Also have read a small fan to circulate air will work, but that seems more complicated.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed - I'll bet the lines close to the faucet are not chilled enough and therefore are foamier. My first beer is always like this, but not enough to the point where it bothers me. My second beer is a perfect pour. Depending on your set up, a lot of people will use a fan to direct air up into the tower to keep the lines cool. Many times they'll wire it to run when the compressor runs. Do a search on it, you should fine many examples.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

do you have a tower?

Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
jordanreichmann
Recipes 

I have a tower that is insulated. I guess that could be the problem, however, my dad has pretty much an identical setup (except more of his beer line is exposed actually) and he doesn't have this problem, so thought I would see if there was something I was missing that the experts may know about.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanreichmann View Post
I have replaced EVERYTHING I can think of in my kegerator kit, but I still get a shot of foam when I start a pour. If I let it go into a cup, then put a new one under it, I get a perfect pour. However, if I just try to pour it into one cup, the whole cup is filled with foam. I have the PSI and temp set at the recommend settings (between 8 and 10 and 38 degrees). Any ideas?

Psi and temp seem about right. How many feet of line and what size of line are you running.

When I first converted my fridge I bought some cheap thin wall beer line and it caused me a lot of foam issues. I would get a whole glass of foam and second and others would be 1/2 foam. I went through a bunch of stuff psi temp line length. I finally got it all ironed out with 10' of 3/6" (real beer line from LHBS) fridge is at 36- 38 degrees. My first pour usually comes out a little more foamy due to tap on outside warms the first part of beer in the line. Second one is always perfect.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
brum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It could be that his temperatures in the fridge are lower than yours or keeping the beer cool throughout the line itself more efficiently.

If you need me to I would gladly come up and sample some of these so called foamy beers

Originally Posted by MyNameIsPaul

We make beer in buckets with toilet parts and coolers, this might not be the best place for you.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
jordanreichmann
Recipes 

I am using a 4 foot line that is 3/16" that I bought from beveragefactory.com I am on keg #3 and cannot figure it out. Welcome to come up and sample all you want, as long as you can get it working correct.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
jordanreichmann
Recipes 

I should warn you Brum, right now it is just **** beer (ie Bud Light and Miller Lite)... Once summer is over and I don't need a beer I can sit at the pool and drink for 12 hours straight on a Saturday, then there will be good beer put in here

Quick Reply