Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fitting 4kegs into a GE 7.0 fcm7suww Keezer (Cutting Corny Keg rubber?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
AStrafaccia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fitting 4kegs into a GE 7.0 fcm7suww Keezer (Cutting Corny Keg rubber?)

This is my first post :-D.

I have been searching for the answer and I can't find one. I built a keezer using the information found on this forum. I used a 7.0CF fcm7suww GE Freezer here are some pics

As you can see I built it to hold 4 kegs, because the internet said that model can hold 4, I've even seen pictures with it holding 4. But for some reason for my freezer its basically impossible to fit all 4 in. If I could get like 1/4"-1/2" I bet they would slide in really nice. I was noticing that the rubber foot of the keg is what is really jamming everything up, it bulges out a bit in all direction.

So my questions are:
1. Anyone know of a good way to cut that rubber? Just to make it thinner?
2. Is there a better way to make them all fit? Maybe use a mallet on the hump and dent it in?

I know that there is the option of buying a 3gal keg and putting it on the hump. But I would rather try some options before dropping the cash to do that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

you can try but i dont think cutting it will do much good

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What type corny kegs are you using? That could be the difference right there, as the ball lock (pepsi style) kegs are 3" taller, but have a diameter that is 1" smaller thank the pin lock (coke style). (from cornykeg.com)

quotes from their website (I couldn't find the exact diameters after a quick search, so just copied this)
"Pin Lock Cornelius Kegs: Pin lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Coke kegs, because this style was used exclusively by the Coca Cola Company and use a pin-lock style disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Pin lock Cornelius kegs have small pins around the perimeter of the post. The disconnects are pressed on the post and the collar rotates to lock onto the pins.

Ball Lock Cornelius Kegs: Ball lock Cornelius kegs are also known as Pepsi kegs; this style was used by Pepsi but was also used by everyone else so this style became more popular than the pin lock. Ball lock Cornelius kegs use a ball lock disconnect to connect and disconnect to the liquid and gas lines. Ball lock disconnects lock on by lifting the collar up, pushing it on the post and then releasing the collar.

The Differences:

Other than the connections there are a couple of other differences you may find between the two styles. The first difference is the dimensions. A standard Pepsi style keg is about 3” taller and 1” smaller in diameter than a standard coke style keg.

The second thing you will find is that the Pepsi style Cornelius Kegs typically have a pull ring relief valve in the center of the lid while the coke style Cornelius Kegs have a “fuse” type relief valve. In the case of the Coke style Cornelius Keg most people just depress the gas side post to relieve pressure from the keg.

"

Damn. I've got to get a better signature.

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
AStrafaccia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhwrecker View Post
What type corny kegs are you using? That could be the difference right there, as the ball lock (pepsi style) kegs are 3" taller, but have a diameter that is 1" smaller thank the pin lock (coke style). (from cornykeg.com)
"
I am using the ball lock style. I made sure about that, if I was using the pin lock, I'd be inches away from getting the 4th one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhagen1 View Post
you can try but i dont think cutting it will do much good
Why not? I just need like a quarter to half of an inch. You don't think they bulge out enough to make the difference?

Think I could hammer and dent in the hump a little bit with like a rubber mallet?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
ryanhope
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You really have to cram it in there but 4 will fit. Probably end up denting the hump a little and leaving a little rubber turf marks on the side.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
hatepickingnames
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

After u jam that 4th in there...get yourself a pinlock and u will fit 5!

Primary-
Dods suds black IPA
90 min clone
Cascade pale
Berliner weiß
Munich/pilsener lager
Secondary-
Berliner weiß
Kegged-
Kolsch
Wit
Nitro english sweet stout

Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
AStrafaccia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepickingnames View Post
After u jam that 4th in there...get yourself a pinlock and u will fit 5!
Good call! I didn't even think of that. Might have to move my regulator.

I missed all the reasons for having an 8 inch collar, Regretting that now. Oh well, always ways to improve it!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
buckeye2011
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There must be some serious manufacturing differences between these freezers. I have the same model and can easily fit 4 kegs on the floor and a 5lb CO2 bottle. I do use 2 of the older single handle style ball locks which might be narrower but I'm pretty sure I could fit 4 of the normal ball locks in there as there is ~1/4" between each keg. You could try taking a belt sander to the rubber base to shave it down some.

You might also try gently hammering the side of the shelf with a rubber mallet to get a little more space in there but I'd be careful. You definitely don't want to damage the freezer now that you've built the keezer.

For what its worth, I've had this freezer for a year and a half and have had no issues.

photo-1-.jpg  

Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
originalben
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mine is similar. I removed the white plastic liner your reg. is attached to-removed the yellow fluff insulation, and replaced that with the solid-ish blue type stuff. Gained ~ 1'' at least.

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Are you sure of the model number? It looks like there are two versions of the GE 7 cu in freezer and some fit 4 kegs and some don't.

Mine fits 4 ball-lock kegs no problem. We could confirm if it is your freezer or kegs if you want to measure the dimensions. If you post them, I can compare them to mine.

The other possibility is that you have converted ball-lock kegs.

Quick Reply