Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fired up the new brewstand! Check out the build!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
BrianL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fired up the new brewstand! Check out the build!

Here's my brewstand build. Fairly standard set up. I used BG14's coverted to low pressure lp and used Honeywell's and Auberins controllers for the MLT and the HLT. The small tank mounted between the kettle and the mash tun is a coffee percolator that I converted to a HERMS tank with a 1500W heating element and a auberins controller. It worked so well with my cooler I just had to incorporate it into my build. I use a RTD on the outlet of the HERMS coil. So, I have lots of options of mash control with this set up.

I'm using a 15 gallon Boilermaker with an autosparge. Worked awesome for recirc and then sparging. This was my first fly sparge, and I think my sparge was a little slow, ended up with about 85% efficiency. Going to be a strong saison!

Here's my HERMS tank.

Autosparge

First brew was rough. My HERMS relay wasn't opening and I didn't feel like troubleshooting, so I decided to do a RIMS with my burner. Then I realized my Honeywells would turn off when the temperature hit the setpoint, but when it dropped below the setpoint I could hear the soleniod shift, but there wasn't any gas to the burner? I had to power off the valve and power it back on for it to flame on again. Anyone have any ideas about this?

I tried to manually control the burner/temp, but it got away from me and I mashed my Saison at 157 for a while.

Another brew or two and it should be smooth sailing. Quick connects are a must! Any tips on my Honeywell problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
klyph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks like a great setup to me.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought