New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Finally...Wooden Single Tier Underway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Looks like it's going to be great!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: None Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Texas Brown Ale On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
CollinsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you notice, the last beam on there is different than the first five. Overall, I was about 4 inches short so I had to buy something to supplement. The bix box stores don't sell 1.5" square tubing but they do sell 1.5" zinc plated steel shelving frame so I got that instead. I'm coating the steel and the inside of the upper rim in black BBQ paint anyway. I'm thinking the rails will fit in the oven. Now I have to wait for SWMBO to take a nap so I can cure the paint in there.

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #23
CollinsBrew

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The burners are mounted. I have some aluminum flashing that I'm going to make some wind screens out of for the larger burners. This should also contain the heat enough to keep the wood from scorching.

Mounted burners:

You can sort of see that the middle burner is sitting lower than the other two due to the way I have them mounted. It's held on by a bold right in the canter on the underside of the burner. I'll probably end up getting a longer bolt with a spacer or two to sit it up a little higher.

Here you can see how I mounted the burners and made them adjustable with some 5/16" all-thread. The spacers are 1/2" to give a little more play in burner adjustment.

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Looking awesome so far... A couple quick questions:

1) You mentioned that the spacers are 1/2" to give more play - can you explain more clearly what you mean there? I'm not sure what I'm looking for in that picture.

2) Also, you mentioned the all-thread that you're using for height adjustment on the burners. How is that actually attached to the wood frame, and do you have any wingnuts or similar to hold the burner support at the right height? Are the holes on the burner support tapped and threaded for the all-thread?

3) You might have already addressed this, but do you have any plans to add casters to this thing? How heavy would you say it is? Looks super solidly built!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
mightynintendo
Pastafarian

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Are you going to put wheels on that thing?

(subscribed)

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #26
CollinsBrew

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes on the wheels. I'm putting six 2" 75lb load casters on this thing. A little overkill but casters from Harbor Freight are pretty cheap and haven't let me down. I'm a castering fool when it comes to the stuff in my garage. If it's heavy, I build a base that fits around the bottom with 2x4's and throw some casters on it. Makes my life a whole lot easier when needing to move workspaces around in my garage.

For the burner mounts, here's a better picture of the underside of the angle iron they're mounted to:

The burners are held on with some simple 5" shelving brackets a 1/4" hex bolt through the bracket then a 1/2" spacer, the angle iron and a 1/4" nut. It's attached to the frame with 5/16" all-thread. You can see the all-thread going through the front beam and back beam of the 2x6 frame. I used a 3/8" drill bit to go all the way through the 2x6 vertically. On one end of the all-thread I screwed on a locknut and fed it throught the top after I had used a 5/8's countersink at the top of each of the drilled holes. This allowed me to sink everything, including the beams so I could put the border around the top. The play I was talking about with the spacers was the clearance I get from the angle iron and the frame. I wasn't sure beforehand with my measurements if I would be able to move the burner all the way up to the kettle if I wanted to so I used the spacers. Turns out, I didn't really need them but I like them so I'll keep them. Clear as mud?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Makes a ton of sense, thanks!

I'm still curious though how you're adjusting the height, I guess... The way you've mounted the all-thread to the wood frame makes perfect sense (I kinda suspected you were doing something like that), but I still don't see how you keep the burner support, well, supported where it attaches to the all thread. The one picture you have above seems to show the all-thread going through that bit of angle iron with no nuts or anything to hold it there - but looking at the last picture, that just might be because we're looking at it from the wrong side of said angle iron for it to be visible...

Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
mightynintendo
Pastafarian

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Where is a good place to buy small quantities of angle iron?

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
Huaco

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo View Post
Garage sales... CraigsList...

Look for Bed Frames. Can pick them up real cheap...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynintendo
Mcmaster.com

Quick Reply