Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Finally...Wooden Single Tier Underway

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Finally...Wooden Single Tier Underway

Finally, after six months and slowly ordering parts, I got a start on my Wooden, Single Tier, Brutus like system. It all got started tonight with the serendipitous cutting of the keggles....I even used a jig.

Perfect Cirlces:

The Jig:

The Parts:

The Honeywells:

The Temp Controllers:

The Temperature Probes:

The Pumps:

The Chiller:

More to come tomorrow as I build the stand and drill the the keggles for Bargain Fittings weldless fittings and BobbyM's sight valves with therms.

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Single Tier Wooden Brutus build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Hockyplr
Recipes 

Nice! Subscribed! Look forward to seeing the future posts.

My WOOD Brew Stand Build

On Tap: Oktoberfest, German Hefe, Helles, Bucket Head Ale, Blue Line Barley Wine, Amber Ale.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some progress today...

I got the holes for the weldless bulkheads and the sightglasses drilled.

All Three kegs: The middle is a Guiness keg (13.2 gal) and will have a through wall thermometer added. I have the thermometer but I need to get a couple of silicone gaskets to seal it.

After I got all of the sticker residue off of the kegs with some BKF, I started on the wood stand. 66"x24"x30"(w/o casters)

Mitered corners with the lug bolts:

I'm still trying to decide how I want to do the supports for the keggles. I have 1 1/2" square steel tubing I'm going to use but I'm trying to decide the best way to put them in. My original plan was to notch out a 2x4 for the tubing and bolt it on the inside upper rim of the stand. Then I thought, why add the extra weight when I could notch out the existing upper rim 2x6 about an inch on each side. Any thoughts?

Flying, golfing, boating and brewing. The first is my job. The other three I wish were my job.

“I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”

Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Dukeman9988
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm very interested in the plans and how this is going to turn out. Are you going electric? Or propane or natural gas?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I like the stand and I am going to build something similar too..
What is the stability since you put single bars in corner?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm doing a low pressure propane set up. I have a picture of my burners that I'll post later. I'm currently typing this from my iPhone (HomeBrewTalk app). For the BK and the Sparge water tank I'm using the larger BG14's and for the Mash Tun I have the smaller 6" version of that burner.

As far as stability, I have no worries that it will hold up. The bottom and top of each leg has two 1/2" lug boots as you can see in the pictures and the sides are secured to the 2x4 legs with 3/8" lag screws. I originally was going to use some 4" casters but it just added too much height to the stand so I picked up some 2" casters from Harbor Freight today. They're rated for 75lbs each and should hold up just fine.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
horseinmay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Don't add the extra weight. Those 2x6's are overkill already. You can notch them to hold the base for the burners. I recently built a wooden brewstand out of 2x4's and was very conscious of the weight and bulk of the timber. It's stronger than you think, so take advantage of its versatility and cut into it.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
chuckjaxfl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'll be watching, especially since you're here in town!

Did you source your kegs locally?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have two of the shorter Guiness kegs but the other has a welded bottom draining fitting. Both of those were Craigslist finds when I lived in Tennessee. A guy up there was selling his whole setup for $350 so I took it. I got another 4 off of Craigslist last year for $50. I checked the Orlando listings and just happened to find them. Drove down that day and picked them up. I've gotten pretty lucky finding stuff on the C'list.

I'm not trying to advertise for either site but SearchTempest is the site I use to check multiple Craigslist cities at one time. I normally don't use it for small stuff but if I'm looking for something very specific or that I could save some money on by driving a little farther.
I still have one of the kegs and I'll be trying to find a new home for it and the bottom drain one at our next brewclub meeting.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hopefully, I'll get some more work done on the stand this week. Spent the last few days at the hospital and I'm happy to announce, A NEW LITTLE BREWER HAS BEEN BORN!! Totally STOKED!!

Quick Reply