Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Finally some Brutus Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
FreebootersBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
How do you like the Blichmann AutoSparge? I'm considering using it on my single-tier HERMS system I'm building. Seems like a great way to maintain a constant level in the MLT without having to go crazy matching in/out rates during fly sparging.
Functionally it worked....ok, it will never shut completely off if you're using a pump, there's too much pressure behind it. But it will slow to a tiny trickle so it's not a big deal.

Also, I noticed that even though I was recirculating the whole time, I had a hot spot in my mash at the point where the return tube sits.
I know some out there use only a high temp silicone hose that they lay on top of their mash to recirc. Do they see the same hot spots?
On Deck: Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I just assembled my Blichmans yesterday and posted pics here...

I installed the AutoSparge in my MLT too...

Now, I used to use a cooler and and a single return line in my old HERMS, but the mash water just returned to a "pool" on top of the bed, so Id expect that pool temp to be homogenous as it filtered down...

Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
brewnickbrew
Recipes 

Freebooters,
I live about 2 1/2 hours from you. Wished we could have a Brutus Brew Day. I'm getting ready to brew my first batch on my Brutus, which will be a Helles.

Very nice by the way.

Nick

My Brutus Build

Quick Reply