*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > FINALLY! My fermentation chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While not finished, she sure is functional!!!!

Because I was doing mostly wiring today, I did not take many pictures, but I will get some pictures tomorow when I start finishing it out.
p5190081.jpg

I did get both thermostats up and running, but it took me a littlewhile to get the wires run for the fans and all that wired up

p5190082.jpg
My first test run hit 65 on the first chamber, and 70 on the second within 5 minutes It didnt hold the temperature too well because the door wasn't closed all the way so I could peer in and make sure the fans swapped on and off like they should.

I am taking a break for today while I moniter tempertures and how often it cycles. I have ~6gal of a golden in there right now holding steady at 70deg off one cycle about 15minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
How did the coil bending go, and how did you do it without crimping the lines?
The lines were surprisingly resistant to crimping. While I was not able to to bend them in any orginized manner, I did get them pretty much stuffed into the space I needed..

post 17 should have a picture.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Woke up this morning and it is still holding temperature strong! I decide to seal a few more cracks with canned foam then put the back on my structure. I did take your advise Jas0420 and put a full back over the entire cabinet to help stiffen up whatever shimmy there may have been left in the structure.
p5200083.jpg

Here is a look at the back opening to the compressor compartment. That fan in the upper left corner flips on with the compressor to circulate outside air over those coils. I know it looks like a giant mess in there, but there is SOME method to the madness... That piece of wire wrapped around the fan will come off, it is just holding it in place until the glue dries. That should clean up a little of the mess going on in that picture....
p5200084.jpg

I open the chamber up to take a gander at my brew and to snap a shot of the inside. I also glued up a gasket around the door to ensure a tight seal when it is closed. In a couple hours I will move her into place and start work on the top half!
p5200085.jpg

Those wires hanging down are the thermistors from the thermostats. I ran the wires from the thermostats, around the door frame to the hinge side, up over the top of the chamber and dropped them through. This way I can tape them directly to the fermenter so it is registering the fermenter's temperature rather than the ambient temp.

Also notice there is a fan over those cold coils. It flips on with the compressor as well to circulate some air over those coils and help prevent freeze-ups and increase cooling efficiency.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Dr_Deathweed; 05-20-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: forgot some detail...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Whew! Today has been busy! I admit I am no craftsman, but things are starting to fall into place. After I got the seals glued into place I went and got my corny kegs to make that last final check to make sure they fit (not that I could really do anything at this point if they didn't... other than cry...)
p5200086.jpg

With everything starting to look like I had imagined, I started working on cutting the last of my lumber for the bookshelves and getting all the panels into place. This was kinda fun because apparently one of my braces was a little warped and threw the right side of the cabinet about 1/2" off. I managed to manhandle it into place and get it (semi) squared away.
p5200087.jpg

With that done I hung the right hand door and installed the latch for it. Unfortunately my woodworking skills had improved a small amount by now and the door on the right is much more square and much better looking than my fridge door I did hang the door a little low which I didn't notice until after I had finished installing the hinges and stood up to look at it. I will move it up a little later when SWMBO gets home and can give me a hand. It's kinda difficult hanging a door by yourself....
p5200088.jpg

Next step: bookshelves. I knew this part wouldn't take me long, but I have still been putting it off because if everything isn't just square I cant cover it up with a little trim and paint.... an hour and a half and 2 beers later it starts looking like it might just hold books!
p5200089.jpg

With the shelves pretty much put together, I cut the back for them and nail it all together. With a little creative leverage using my desk chair, step stool, and some scrap lumber, I manage to leverage it up and lift it to where I can slide it onto my cabinet:
p5200090.jpg

I still have to put some center braces on those shelves, but that may just wait until tomorrow. While no Fermoire, with a little sanding, paint, and some trim, she may just start looking like the fermoire's ugly step-sister .

I am happy to say that the whole time that I have been in here, I have only heard the compressor cycle a half dozen times, and each time was only for a minute or less. I have the thermostat set with a 1deg tolerance, so it is holding temperature pretty well!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #24
jas0420
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's lookin' like a fermentation cabinet now!

Last edited by jas0420; 05-20-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Dr_Deathweed Likes This 
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Very w00t! I've been lurking throughout this project and I'm really impressed with what you've accomplished!

I'm drafting similar ideas now...... buahahaha.......

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
Very w00t! I've been lurking throughout this project and I'm really impressed with what you've accomplished!

I'm drafting similar ideas now...... buahahaha.......
Yeah, not bad for a week's work!

If you have any questions while drafting yours, I would be glad to answer. I learned quite a bit putting this thing together.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #27
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Me likey!

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #28
illnastyimpreza
Recipes 

saweet. so you are using a single fridge compressor/cooling system to control 2 different
"climates" ?? can you set each "climate" to a different temp is desired ?

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #29
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza View Post
saweet. so you are using a single fridge compressor/cooling system to control 2 different
"climates" ?? can you set each "climate" to a different temp is desired ?
Yep, the trick is to put what i want to keep cooler towards the coils, and put my warmer ferment on the other side. It has worked like a charm for many batches already!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #30
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

When you first torn down the dorm fridge, there weren't any coils or anything on the bottom, were there?

From your pics, it doesn't like there was.

Quick Reply