Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentor Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
stanley1271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentor Advice

So I am going to start building an area (very small area) for my brewing equipment. One thing I will be building is a workbench that will have a box as part of the base that will be my fermenter box. The room I am planning on using can get up to 80+ degrees in the summer (I'm in Central Florida so it can get above 100 easily). I am thinking that I could use some Insulation like this one to help keep the temp down. Does anyone know how well something like this would work? The basic concept will be a box base made out of plywood and 2x4s and then a cheap kitchen counter for the top. Most likely Formica.

I have seen some other designs on here and elsewhere, where people have used something similar. I have seen where people have also use refrigerators to pump cold air into the case, but I am not comfortable at this point to cut into a $150.00+ device to make this happen. I have plenty of computer parts to use some fans in it if that would help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

You might do a search for 'Son of Fermentation Chiller' or something like that, its an insulated box like you're envisioning, but with a fan, a temp gauge/controller, and a place to put ice bottles.

Jim

Old 03-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My sig has a link to a thread that has some math that might help you figure out your insulation and cooling needs.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
stanley1271
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the search term. I had never heard of that one. It did give me the ideas I need to build my workbench/fermenter box. I want to have two batches going so I will probably go with something more like the 38DD version I found while researching the "son" version. Looks like the hardest part will be the temp gauge and I am not sweating that really, so this should be a nice easy build. Even for someone like me.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
stanley1271
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BTW the math hurt my brain. Guess I'll wait to do the math after I have had a few bottles.

Quick Reply