Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The Fermento-lager-taporator!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I really love the idea of carboys bubbling away on display! Keep us posted for sure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you're going to have glass or BB carboys in there, I think you should backlight them with some LEDs. That would look so cool with light shining through the swirling yeasties and bubbles.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
Brewin_Bob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
If you're going to have glass or BB carboys in there, I think you should backlight them with some LEDs. That would look so cool with light shining through the swirling yeasties and bubbles.
+1000!!!

Will you mount the finished product on wheels or on a platform of some kind? Just thinking about if you were to move from where you are now.

-- Kings Full Brewery --
-- Currently Being Remodeled --

Primary:None
Secondary:None
Conditioning:Lemstrac Wine, first mead
Bottled:None

Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Couple of questions:

- How are you going to deal with the heat generated by the freezer? In other words, how will you ventilate this so the compressor doesn't overheat?

- What happens when your freezer dies and you have to pull it out to put in a new one? Will there be an easy way to get it out without tearing the whole thing apart?

Otherwise, wow! Freaking awesome!
Great questions!

1) The back of the freezer portion is open so the heat venting will be the same as it is now.

2) The freezer should be rather easy to replace. As long as I can find one of approximately the same size... all that would be required for a change out would be unscrew a couple fasteners, have my brother over to help me lift the structure off the old freezer and onto the new one. I plan to build the whole structure independently so it will be relatively easy to move.

Quote:
That sounds cool. Some rope lighting would be super easy to install. Also, I could add a heating element in there for the depths of winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewin_Bob View Post
+1000!!!

Will you mount the finished product on wheels or on a platform of some kind? Just thinking about if you were to move from where you are now.
I really don't plan on ever moving... but if I do, it shouldn't be to bad, not any worse than moving a highboy or another large piece of furniture.

Thanks for the interest, Cheers
Cjtabares Likes This 
Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

are you going to insulate the upper fermentation chamber?

Also you will get moisture in the freezer from condensation. You should make sure you leave a space for the drain on the freezer so you can easily remove the water that collects.

The Glass even though double pained will loose a lot of coolness. I have a feeling without the proper insulation that your fans will be running 24-7.

I would mount the love controllers on the front of the unit that way its easy to see your temps plus they look cool.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjunky View Post

Also you will get moisture in the freezer from condensation. You should make sure you leave a space for the drain on the freezer so you can easily remove the water that collects.

The Glass even though double pained will loose a lot of coolness. I have a feeling without the proper insulation that your fans will be running 24-7.

I would mount the love controllers on the front of the unit that way its easy to see your temps plus they look cool.
That's exactly what I was gonna say. If you build this thing as is, I'd expect your elec bill to go up substantially. Condensation is another concern.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjunky View Post

Yes! I forgot to mention, the whole frame structure will be insulated with R-13 wall insulation so this thing should be rather efficient. I may loose a bit of heat out of the glass, but the majority of the time, the temperature difference between the chamber and my house will only be around 10-15 degrees. I could mount the LOVEs on the front but my house is rather old school and the digital readouts might look a bit out of place.

I am ordering some of those electric dehumidifiers posted a little while ago for the keezer.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
Yes! I forgot to mention, the whole frame structure will be insulated with R-13 wall insulation so this thing should be rather efficient. I may loose a bit of heat out of the glass, but the majority of the time, the temperature difference between the chamber and my house will only be around 10-15 degrees. I could mount the LOVEs on the front but my house is rather old school and the digital readouts might look a bit out of place.

I am ordering some of those electric dehumidifiers posted a little while ago for the keezer.
...or just get some damprid.

you'll get more thermal loss through that glass than you think. So what temp will it be in there? And do you have any way of keeping the kegs colder (42ish) and still have lagers fermenting above at 50-55? Or does the whole thing have to be the same temp?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Im guessing since cold air drops and the bottom of his floor for the fermentation chamber is going to be insulated he will control the temps by his fans blowing cold air up into the fermentation area from Pipes that go through the floor with fans mounted to them or something similar.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #20
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
-10000 for skunked beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Quick Reply