Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentation Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 AM   #11
knewshound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Some things to concider are;

#1 - Flappers

My Brother scoffs at mine but I truly think they do help.

I glued a soda straw onto a piece of scrap carboard, bent 2 finish nails into a 90 degree angle and pushed the assembly into the foam.

Like this...

[IMG][/IMG]

And like this...

[IMG][/IMG]

I am very pleased with such a simple addition.

Also, those Folgers containers are terriffic and free.

There was some discussion about having the intake high and the exhaust low, which is what I did. I think it only makes logical sense.

Cheers,

knewshound

In Wine there is Wisdom.

In Beer there is Strength.

In Water there is Bacteria.

The knewshounds Blog

Homebrewing 1A

Homebrewing 101

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well.. got the pieces cut on Friday, so hopefully I will be getting it together soon. I still need to purchase the insulation, fans & temp controller. Looks like it might take me a few weeks to get finished.

What about water condensation? Should I line the ice compartment with something waterproof?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:23 AM   #13
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar
What about water condensation? Should I line the ice compartment with something waterproof?
Only a small problem out here during monsoon. Toss a towel down on the bottom of the ice chambers. I elevate the ice containers with some quarter-round and dowels to elevate them about 10". Don't need the towel when the humidity is low.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 11-06-2006 at 01:33 AM.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I havent been having much of a condesation problem with mine, even in the humid Wisconsin summer, but then again I do keep a dehumidifier in my basement too. Any condensation I do it is very easily removed with 1 towel when I change out my 2 liter bottles of ice.

BTW I did the same thing. I doubled the size of the plans and can easily fit 2 carboys in there with no problems. I can also fit 14 2 liter bottels of ice in the thing at 1 time. I put it through it's paces for a short run in the late sumer and it worked great. I cant wait until July / August of next year to really see what she can do.

I only went with 1 fan since all ya want to do is move the air fast enuff to keep it cool. You dont need it to pass by the bottles a billion times to cool of, thats just a waste of fans IMHO.

Last edited by Pumbaa; 11-06-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #15
JAB
Recipes 

I built a fermentation chiller for one carboy. Probably pilfered the same plans you did. Works great! I used a muffin fan that I had left over from an old PC power supply. I've fermented in the 68 - 72 * range and one gal of ice lasts about 12 hours on average. The beer requires more cooling during the higher activation stages of the yeast. I used an old wall thermostat and the fan cycles maybe for 10 minutes every 45 min. to an hour. Again, dependent on the activity level of the yeast. Gallon milk jugs tend to rupture in the freezer and it is not evident until later (bummer). But the clear plastic ones that juice comes in are really good. Been using them for six of seven weeks now, haven't had them leak once. Guess I'll set a course ... Whoops!

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB
Gallon milk jugs tend to rupture in the freezer and it is not evident until later (bummer). But the clear plastic ones that juice comes in are really good.
Don't fill them to the top and keep the cap off while freezing them. I've used them many times without rupture. You gotta give it a way to vent.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #17
JAB
Recipes 

Yes. That's just how I was processing them but stretch marks would appear on the first, second or third cycle through the freezer and that is the tell-tale sign that a thinning of the wall has occurred. Subsequent leaking was always the result. I do use a bottle that originally contained windshield wiper fluid and it appears to be made with the same plastic but with a thicker wall. Glad you're able to use the milk jugs. There are enough of them out there.

Keep on Brewin'
Lee

Old 12-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #18
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Yeah, that's probably so. I just never noticed the stretch marks 'cuz I used new bottles as I finished with the milk. I probably did that due to reading somewhere that they would break eventually.

I was going to use dry ice at one point, but too much trouble to source. You have to order it about 24hrs in advance, it has to be kept dry, blah blah blah.

I have found the Peltier plates for ~$15 each for the 40x44mm plates. Look here.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
IgZeppa
Recipes 

Ive build one very similar to, it works great, I can drop the temp to 10° C.
LINK: http://fiebrecervecera.blogspot.com/

IgZeppa
http://fiebrecervecera.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply