New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentation chamber: Chest freezer or Build off of a mini fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
detz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation chamber: Chest freezer or Build off of a mini fridge?

The chest freezer is around $250 while I can get a mini fridge for around $120. Material to build the chamber around the fridge might run another $50 so it's cheaper and I would build it to fit everything correctly so it seems to be the better option but I'm worried I wont be able to lower the temps in the summer with just the little fridge. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

have you looked at a used freezer on craigslist?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Bucks-04
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you might be underestimating the mini fridge chamber. If you plan on making it bigger you defitnally exceed $50. Plywood, insulation, if you plan to frame it then the cost of 2x4's, caulk, screws, hinges, and a temp controller. I prob missed a few minor things but still it all adds up.

The chest freezer is already big enough so no need to do anything but buy a temp controller around $70 maybe even less. If cost is an issue craigslist for a used chest freezer. That is what I suggest.

It is nice to build your own though.

Also to build you need tools so another thing to add to the list.

Best of luck

Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

My chiller is just a box made out of 2" foam board, glued together, and attached to a 4cf mini fridge (that has the door removed).

I made the box big enough for three better bottles. It works GREAT, I have 13 gallons of light Hefe fermenting in it now.

Craig's List is a good source for cheap fridges, and now that colleges are out, now is the time to find them.

Quick Reply