Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentation Chamber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
Manthony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well this mini fridge has no freezer compartment (made sure of that!) so I'm hoping that there shouldn't be any moisture problems in this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
crane
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manthony
Well this mini fridge has no freezer compartment (made sure of that!) so I'm hoping that there shouldn't be any moisture problems in this
Doesn't matter if you have a freezer section or not you will get condensation on a cold surface. In this case it will be the walls of the minifridge. This may be more of a problem as the water will drip down the walls making it harder to catch than if you did have a freezer compartment.

Unfortunately I threw away the drip tray that was in my minifridge when I gutted the cooling portion for my chamber build. I have recently ran into mildew issues due to the recent high humidity heat wave we had in southern California. I need to rig something up to catch all the water so none of it can pool up on the wood or insulation.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
crane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking
My ferm chamber is converted refrigerator with an internal freezer. With temps at 50 Deg F the freezer compartment frosts over, then thaws when the compressor stops. The freezer has a tray under it to collect the drippings from the freezer, and I find I have to empty it about once a week. I am wondering if over the span of a ferment, if you get some moisture inside. Let us know how it goes. Nice work.
For my build I mounted a fan in front of the freezer compartment that is on when the compressor is on. This prevents the cold plate from getting too much colder than the air in the chamber. As a result I don't get frost buildup until I get into the low 30's.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 888 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

well done, very cool!

Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
For my build I mounted a fan in front of the freezer compartment that is on when the compressor is on. This prevents the cold plate from getting too much colder than the air in the chamber. As a result I don't get frost buildup until I get into the low 30's.
That's a good Idea. Did you use an old computer fan, and is it blowing to the back, or front?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
crane
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
That's a good Idea. Did you use an old computer fan, and is it blowing to the back, or front?
I didn't use a computer fan because I didn't want to muck with a power adapter. I used a 120mm AC fan so that way I could just wire it straight up to the temp controller along with the compressor. It is mounted ~4 inches in front of the freezer compartment and it is blowing back over the freezer compartment.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default How is the Fermentation Chamber holding up?

I'm curious about the build. How is the fermentation chamber with the top mounted dorm fridge holding up?

I'm on the look out for a solution and this would take up less horizontal space then adding a collar to dorm fridge.

BTW, nice looking woodwork.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #18
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Beautiful. If I had that furniture, I'd put it next to my TV in the family room so I could consistently admire it.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Manthony
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its holding up very well. I have a doppelbock going as we speak. I haven't had one single problem and after putting a drip pan in there underneath the fridge I haven't had one single spot of water inside. The only thing I've noticed is that the temperature is usually 3-4 degrees off from where I set it (probably should have used 1" foam instead of 3/4". I'm gonna put some thermal tape on the inside next weekend and see if that helps. But as long as I set it about 3 degrees lower than what I want it works like a gem!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
Navy_Chief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have any information on the model of fridge you used, and pictures of the modification to the compressor mount? This is an awesome build!

Quick Reply