The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentation Chamber

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
suicidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 20
Default Fermentation Chamber

So, I am a noob when it comes to brewing (I haven't even brewed my first batch yet)...but when I do something I like to do it right. I have been looking at buying a chest freezer to turn into a fermentation chamber...then it clicked, that I have a commercial Ice Cream freezer in the shop (pic below). My question is, will I run into any problems since this cooler has a glass top? I plan on using buckets for fermentation, so i don't think Light will be an issue.



also could I use something like this as my heat source for my fermentation chamber?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...on-heater.html

__________________
suicidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 782
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Dude, you've got it all worked out. That thing will work great. And the brew belt will work too.

Keep in mind, you'll need a temperature controller to make all this stuff work.

__________________
badmajon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
suicidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon View Post
Dude, you've got it all worked out. That thing will work great. And the brew belt will work too.

Keep in mind, you'll need a temperature controller to make all this stuff work.
yea, i've been reading the ebay aquarium temp. controler...i think i am going to order one sometime tomorrow.

thanks for your input.
__________________
suicidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
BoxofRain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 487
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

That is all shades of awesome. I wouldn't bother with the brew belt and rig up a lightbulb instead as the heat source.

__________________
BoxofRain is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
SteveSD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 14
Default

The only negative I can foresee is if you set it up in an area with fluorescent lighting and you ferment in carboys. The light exposure can result in skunking your beer.

__________________
SteveSD is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
autobaun70's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 445
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default

you have got it made for a fermentation chamber. I would just get a small piece of material (wood, insulation board, whatever) to go between the sliding door and the edge where it would normally close, and drill any needed holes for the temperature probe, wires, or whatever you need to get in there.

For heat, I would go with a heat bulb from a pet shop that is typically used in lizard/snake cages. No light, but still get the heat. Even if you do end up using a clear carboy for fermentation, just throw a towel or two over the top and your problems are solved.

__________________
autobaun70 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
suicidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
you have got it made for a fermentation chamber. I would just get a small piece of material (wood, insulation board, whatever) to go between the sliding door and the edge where it would normally close, and drill any needed holes for the temperature probe, wires, or whatever you need to get in there.

For heat, I would go with a heat bulb from a pet shop that is typically used in lizard/snake cages. No light, but still get the heat. Even if you do end up using a clear carboy for fermentation, just throw a towel or two over the top and your problems are solved.
you just gave me the solution to the other problem i was having. LOL. I couldn't figure out how i was going to run all the wires and such. I love this forum already.
__________________
suicidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
suicidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSD View Post
The only negative I can foresee is if you set it up in an area with fluorescent lighting and you ferment in carboys. The light exposure can result in skunking your beer.
its going in the garage. only incandescent light in there, and it won't be anywhere near sunlight...so i think i will be ok if/when i decide to ferment in carboys.
__________________
suicidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
suicidal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxofRain View Post
That is all shades of awesome. I wouldn't bother with the brew belt and rig up a lightbulb instead as the heat source.
hmmm...hadn't thought about a lightbulb...that saves me even more money. LOL. I have a light setup i can use in this thing. so when its all said and done, i'm going to have a fermentation chamber for the price of a temp. controler.
__________________
suicidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #10
tolip_ck1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 148
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

NO WAY!!!

I'll come take it from you and these awesome guys will help you get something that will work!!!

__________________
tolip_ck1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation chamber multi chamber temp options ToastedPenguin DIY Projects 8 07-25-2012 01:17 AM
Fermentation Chamber birvine DIY Projects 2 12-22-2010 08:06 PM
AK Fermentation Chamber chipsah DIY Projects 16 12-13-2009 10:20 PM
Fermentation Chamber bashe DIY Projects 7 03-13-2009 09:46 PM
Fermentation Chamber TwoHeadsBrewing DIY Projects 2 12-03-2008 06:36 PM