Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermentation Cabinet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #31
Choguy03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is particle board on the bottom then the one inch foam board with the melamine on top of that. I figured the MDF wouldn't bode well with water. I have rigged a pan under the cooling unit to catch any drops though. It was a fun project but just about the same as a freezer, but the SWMBO wouldn't want that in the living room. he he.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #32
mnadamn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was wondering how often this seems to cycle and how low of a temp. you can maintain. I am looking at building something like this in the near future but most threads I have seen use 2" insulation. I was also curious as to the size of the original minifridge. The one I have is about 4.5 cuft and I was thinking that it would be nice to possibly fit another carboy in there...

Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #33
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnadamn View Post
I was wondering how often this seems to cycle and how low of a temp. you can maintain. I am looking at building something like this in the near future but most threads I have seen use 2" insulation. I was also curious as to the size of the original minifridge. The one I have is about 4.5 cuft and I was thinking that it would be nice to possibly fit another carboy in there...
I cannot speak for the OP, but with my setup like this, I might hear it cycle once every 1.5- 2 hours or so if I have both chambers set at ~65 (ambient temps are usually ~78) I cannot get 2" insulation down here, so I glued 2 - 3/4" sheets together and built it like that. The size of the fridge should not matter, many of the fridges have the same size compressor whether it is a 1.5cu. ft or a 6 cu. ft fridge. Look for the BTU rating or Kw/year on the compressor. If I remember correctly, most small fridges are in the 320-360 range on Kw/year.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply