New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Ferm chamber/ kegerator need some advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Transamguy77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Ferm chamber/ kegerator need some advise

Morning all, building a ferm chamber has been on the brewery to do list for a while now, I was going to use a dorm fridge and build a insulated box measuring 4ft long, 3ft tall and 2ft wide, then a few months ago my wife surprised me with a kegging system so now I need a fridge for that.

I have a dedicated beer fridge in my basement now which is rather small but worked out great for beer stuff, I can keep 4ish cases of beer and all my hops and yeast in. I can use that for the kegerator but then i dont have space for my yeast and hops or the rest of the bottled beer i still have.

When i moved in there was a old and gutted fridge in the basement so I got to thinking that it might make more sense to use that instead of building a box since its already assembled and its much larger and can hold more kegs and whatever I already have in the smaller one will also fit then I can use the smaller one for a ferm chamber. My dilema now is how to cool it my concern now is that the dorm fridge is not going to be able to cool it since its much larger than the box I was going to build, I have a small ac window unit that I was concidering using and I have read some threads and the problem most people have had is it icing up, this is a small unit and i was thinking if I ran it on the lowest setting and put a fan in front of it that should help. I don't want to spend the time to mount the dorm frige if the ac unit is a better way to go.

The size of the fridge I want to use is 19" deep, 27" wide and 53" high that is the inside measurement. hope you guys can help me thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Look on craigslist and get a free/cheap fridge that meets your needs.

Keg #1: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: empty

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer
Fermenter #2 Bavarian Hefeweizen

Superbowl champions.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain
Look on craigslist and get a free/cheap fridge that meets your needs.
I'm trying to work with what I already have so I don't have to put out any money, trying to be frugal with my brewing.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

How many CU is the dorm fridge? Ive seen a bunch of ferm chamber builds on here with dorm fridges used to cool boxes that are much bigger then they are.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie
How many CU is the dorm fridge? Ive seen a bunch of ferm chamber builds on here with dorm fridges used to cool boxes that are much bigger then they are.
Is that something I measure or is it listed on the fridge? I feel the same I have seen some huge chambers also, I guess it's the amount of liquid I will have that I'm concerned about (now thinking about it more).

Here is a pic of the sticker on the back and the model info.

image-670037523.jpg

image-3129501345.jpg

Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamguy77 View Post
I'm trying to work with what I already have so I don't have to put out any money, trying to be frugal with my brewing.
So you're going to spend time and money adapting a mini fridge (that is too small) to cool a fridge that doesn't work into some kind of Frankenstein fermentation chamber?
I got a really nice fridge off craigslist for free. I'm sure if you looked, you could find one too.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/search/sss?zoomToPosting=&query=refrigerator&catAbb=zip&s rchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=20

Keg #1: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: empty

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer
Fermenter #2 Bavarian Hefeweizen

Superbowl champions.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=WMR04BAPBB

Looks like GE doesn't make it anymore. a 4.3 isn't bad though, it could do the job. I can't say how much life u will get out of it but for the dimensions ur saying I think it would work fine for a few years with moderate use.
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain

So you're going to spend time and money adapting a mini fridge (that is too small) to cool a fridge that doesn't work into some kind of Frankenstein fermentation chamber?
I got a really nice fridge off craigslist for free. I'm sure if you looked, you could find one too.
Thank you for trying to help me but your not, if it was as simple as getting another fridge I would do it but its not, I live in a hundred year old house with a very short basement and most fridges are too tall to fit, I was thinking of a chest freezer but but after spending months looking I couldn't find a big enough one for less than a couple hundred, then there is the issue of getting it to my house cause I don't own a truck so I would need to ask someone to go with me to pick it up.

So now I'm trying to use what I already have available to me to accomplish what I want that I can handle on my own. So unless you have some input on what I can do please refrain from posting about Craig's list.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=WMR04BAPBB

Looks like GE doesn't make it anymore. a 4.3 isn't bad though, it could do the job. I can't say how much life u will get out of it but for the dimensions ur saying I think it would work fine for a few years with moderate use.
Excellent that is what I was looking for, if I can use it for now and maybe upgrade later that would be fine, thanks for your input.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

Just make sure u use some good insulation and seal the joints. But I don't see a problem with it working out well for u.

Happy Brewing!

Aging:

Quick Reply