The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > [Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #21
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been wanting to make something like this. I have a 22" monitor haning around collecting dust.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
I've thought about a similar thing, though, and I've seen people having done it with plastic flow meters from Adafruit (10 bucks each; http://www.adafruit.com/products/828 - example keg flow majigger is in the Tutorials)) - they don't SAY they're food grade, but it seems like they're made of polypropylene which should be fine.
I'd seen those flow meters and dismissed them because the lack of food-grade rating (NSF stamp). If people have tested them and are not getting flavor scalping, I'll certainly reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opqdan View Post
The flow sensors I have pulse 6000 times per liter. I found that they stayed incredibly accurate through the pouring of a full keg. I poured nearly a full keg of 12oz beakers, and the reported numbers were all accurate to a few tenths of an ounce (I'll see if can dig up my dataset). Remember that all you need is accuracy down to the average glass size you pour (or maybe half of that). That's a lot of wiggle room.
Can you link to the model you used? This has certainly caught my attention now.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Oh, and the benefit of the load cell approach is that nothing touches your beer so you don't have to worry about it being food grade.
Agreed, but again, I cram my kegs into the keezer as many here do. Load cells don't work in that situation, as a keg may be supported partially or fully by its neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Mouse View Post
Very nice display. I can see a commercial version of this in small tap houses and brew pubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
It already exists, its called Digital Pour

http://digitalpour.com/
I have no interest in producing a commercially viable version. As you said it already exists. I don't have the time or resources to support businesses, especially when it's a product that is key to their livelihood. Business owners FREAK OUT when key technologies break on them, and I don't care to deal with all that mess.

This project would be intended for home use (free limited support). It would be designed around metrics a homebrewer would be interested in displaying (IBU, SRM, etc). A taphouse wants to display other things that maybe aren't so important in a home setting (prices, social media tickers, live reviews, etc). Of course, there's some basic elements that we probably all want (beer name, style, a description, keg levels, etc).

Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Should put it on github and make it open source

My hop stopper

Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
Should put it on github and make it open source
Github will be utilized once I get a functioning build completed.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Can you link to the model you used? This has certainly caught my attention now.
I have 3x SwissFlow sf800
http://www.swissflow.com/sf800.html

I got the model idea from KegBot a number of years ago. The kegbot website says that it is food safe, though the SwissFlow website doesn't say that it is. I'm not convinced that it is, but I'm also not too concerned. Only a small amount of beer has extended contact with the plastic, and the temperature is low (I wouldn't run any hot or caustic liquids through it).

I think I paid way less than what they are going for now (possibly ebay, but I can't recall).

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
I have 3x SwissFlow sf800
http://www.swissflow.com/sf800.html

I got the model idea from KegBot a number of years ago. The kegbot website says that it is food safe, though the SwissFlow website doesn't say that it is. I'm not convinced that it is, but I'm also not too concerned. Only a small amount of beer has extended contact with the plastic, and the temperature is low (I wouldn't run any hot or caustic liquids through it).

I think I paid way less than what they are going for now (possibly ebay, but I can't recall).
Indeed, I had been trying to just roll out a ready-to-use Kegbot in my home. However, they're limited to 2 flow sensors with the Arduino's limited GPIO capacity. They're also pretty firmly entrenched in the Android tablet + Arduino board + kegboard coasters realm. In the end, they seem to get a slower device, less upgradability, and a much smaller screen.

I did find a stack of SF-800s on eBay earlier, sold by a company that went out of business before they could implement them. We're looking at $26 per, plus $7 S/H instead of $60 per, plus $20 S/H and international shipping wait. It says 86 sold and "more than 10 available". I wish eBay would show the full number available by default so I'd know if he has 11 or 1100 left.

Been doing some posting over on the RPi official forums. Whereas the Arduino is limited to 2 flow meters, the RPi has 21 GPIO pins available on the board. Because there's a 3-pin harness on the SF-800's, I assume each flow sensor needs two GPIO pins, plus a ground that can easily be shared. Looks like I could build a MCP23017-based breakout board for $10-15 which would take allow me to split two GPIO pins into 16 (or I could double-up and go 4-to-32 for another $5). This also lets me nuke the MCP23017 if I mess up the voltages ($2) instead of the RPi ($42) itself.

In other words, I think the RPi could be expanded to accept 8 flow meters for ~$15, or 16 flow meters for ~$20. Plus flow meter cost, of course.

I hate you guys right now...

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Indeed, I had been trying to just roll out a ready-to-use Kegbot in my home. However, they're limited to 2 flow sensors with the Arduino's limited GPIO capacity. They're also pretty firmly entrenched in the Android tablet + Arduino board + kegboard coasters realm. In the end, they seem to get a slower device, less upgradability, and a much smaller screen.

I did find a stack of SF-800s on eBay earlier, sold by a company that went out of business before they could implement them. We're looking at $26 per, plus $7 S/H instead of $60 per, plus $20 S/H and international shipping wait. It says 86 sold and "more than 10 available". I wish eBay would show the full number available by default so I'd know if he has 11 or 1100 left.

Been doing some posting over on the RPi official forums. Whereas the Arduino is limited to 2 flow meters, the RPi has 21 GPIO pins available on the board. Because there's a 3-pin harness on the SF-800's, I assume each flow sensor needs two GPIO pins, plus a ground that can easily be shared. Looks like I could build a MCP23017-based breakout board for $10-15 which would take allow me to split two GPIO pins into 16 (or I could double-up and go 4-to-32 for another $5). This also lets me nuke the MCP23017 if I mess up the voltages ($2) instead of the RPi ($42) itself.

In other words, I think the RPi could be expanded to accept 8 flow meters for ~$15, or 16 flow meters for ~$20. Plus flow meter cost, of course.

I hate you guys right now...
I only used the hardware ideas, I haven't used the actual KegBot software. The swissflow only required a single pin for IO (the other two are 5V and GND), but due to the pulsing nature I've had to hook it up as an interrupt, which the Arduino has only 2 of though it looks like newer versions may support more.

While I've had a working Arduino (and later a Netduino, and then back to Arduino again) solution, I spent a long time feature creeping the PC software side (I had a half cocked idea to implement facial recognition though it was only right about 50% of the time) and it never really came together. Since I am going to be getting back into this over the next few months, I am probably going to start from the ground up, so I've also been looking at the Pi. All you need is the ability to count pulses on a GPIO in the ~1kHz range (assuming pouring one imperial pint in 5 seconds). If that can be done on any of the Pi pins, then you've got a lot of options. My only road block is that I'd have to add a separate ADC chip for my analog pressure sensors.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
All you need is the ability to count pulses on a GPIO in the ~1kHz range (assuming pouring one imperial pint in 5 seconds). If that can be done on any of the Pi pins, then you've got a lot of options. My only road block is that I'd have to add a separate ADC chip for my analog pressure sensors.
Here's the question I asked this morning. Seems very plausible.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...477308#p477308

Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
Renegades_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I could easily see one of these for my setup if the flow meters cost was slightly lower.

Untapped user name: Renegades_Brew

On Deck:
Primary: NG Wisconsin Belgian Red Clone, Imperial Blonde, 30 gallons of Cherry Wheat
Secondary:
Bottled: Perry w/white wine yeast, HopNog, Perry w/Nottingham, Jalapeno Wheat
Kegged: Caramel Apple Cider, Peach Apple Cider, Cinnamon Apple Cider, Pumpkin Ale #2

Drank: Grapefruit Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Whiskey Stout, Cherry Wheat

Quick Reply