Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > [Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default [Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

A cursory Google search of the site didn't turn up many threads relating to digital tap lists. In fact, only one thread I can find.

I'm currently finishing up a digital taplist. Let's cut to the chase, mmkay. I received the code on which I based my version via a GNU Share-a-Like license. I'm willing to pass on all of my source code and updated graphics under the same license (free for non-commercial or with attribution).

I'm willing to create a step-by-step tutorial from unboxing hardware to up and running, written to be Marine-proof (or even drunken HBTer-proof!). That said, I'm only going to put my time towards such a massive project if it's something that the community here wants.

Would anybody here be interested in something like this for their home? Please let me know either by Liking this post, replying, or both.

UPDATE: Made plenty of tweaks since posting the screenshot above. I'm making tens or hundreds of edits a day to the code right now. So instead of updating the screenshot manually, I just made the Pi web-facing and forwarded the ports in my local network.

"What does that mean?!" you say. It means you can check out a live version: http://thadius856.servebeer.com/

Things may look weird at times, as you're seeing my behind-the-scenes edits in real time.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
mpjay2000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I like it and think it looks really cool. Just like everyone else though, I'm cheap. What's the cost and what do you actually get. I'm computer stupid so break it down for me.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
thadius856

Recipes 

If you have some electronic pieces laying around, you could build this for ~$50 out of pocket. What you see pictured probably cost me closer to $200, but $120 is locked up in the (24") display.

The other drywall anchors you see are for two satellite displays still in the planning phase.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
thadius856

Recipes 

Alright, cost breakdown. There's a few things you need, and a few things can be helpful but aren't required. Depending on what you have laying around, it may be cheaper or more expensive.

You need one Raspberry Pi mini computer. They're $35 + S/H from the manufacturer. Otherwise, $43 shipped on Amazon. Free 2-day Air shipping if you have a Prime membership, otherwise free ground shipping.

You need a display of some sort. I bought 24" Dell IPS panels for this project, but if you had an old monitor laying around, you could use that. I recommend 1920x1080 resolution for this. I paid $119 shipped for this as a refurb (MSRP $190), and I threw in two more. Dell regularly has refurb sales with 19" panels below $65 shipped.

You'll need a display cable. If the monitor has HDMI, you need an HDMI cable. If the monitor has only DVI, you need either 1) an HDMI cable and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter ($3) or 2) an HDMI-to-DVI cable ($6).

You need a power supply. Most people have old cell phone chargers that will work. Kindle chargers, iPhone chargers, etc. Must be minimum 700 maH (will be printed on the charger). If you can't find one, knockoff iPhone chargers are all over eBay (search "colorful iPhone charger") for $1-2 shipped.

You need a power cable. It should be USB A (standard USB plug type) to USB Micro (like a cell phone cable). I already had plenty, but there's a 5pk on Amazon for $7 shipped, under $1 ea from Monoprice + S/H, and plenty other options available.

You need either a USB or wireless keyboard and mouse (at least for setup). I got tired of swapping out my wireless keyboard/mouse dongle with my PC while programming and bought a Favi FE01-BL mini wireless keyboard, but it's completely optional. Who doesn't have a USB keyboard/mouse these days?

That's all you need.

A USB wifi adapter is helpful for web browsing with it, but not required. If you want to mount the monitor to a wall, you'll need a wall mount. This cheapie one is $10, this one with tilt is $15, and this one (I'm using) is a premium version with tilt, pan, and an easy-mount setup for $22.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
twst1up
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't get it....

Does the display change as you dispense from the tap?

you can take the boy outta New Jersey...

Old 12-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1457 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by twst1up View Post
I don't get it....

Yeah I want to know too and if so, I want!

But please, don't put baby (the guitar) in the corner.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
thadius856

Recipes 

'Fraid not. It does not update as your dispense (yet).

Problem is, the cheapest reliable food-safe flow meters with decent precision are $60 ea, plus import fees and shipping. That's more than the price of a corny keg for most of the US!

If you're interested in live keg updates, check out the Kegbot project. So far, they're limited to 2 kegs on a flow meters, and they require an Android tablet for display. Talk about expensive!

If I could find a source of reliable, cheap food-grade flow meters, I'd consider developing based around an Adafruit sheild add-on. Unfortunately, the market just isn't there yet. Sorry.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twst1up View Post
I don't get it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
Yeah I want to know too and if so, I want!

But please, don't put baby (the guitar) in the corner.
That old pile of crud? That's a Fender Starcaster. $80 retail at any big box store. I hang it in the corner because it's my ****tiest guitar. It's the one I hand newbs when they come over and want to play Rocksmith 2014. It exists so they don't pick stab the **** out of my other pieces.

I hang my nice guitars with pride: Gibson Les Paul '52 Tribute ('86 reproduction) in Sunburst, '92 Epiphone Les Paul in Wheat, '81 Vantage VSH-445 in Mahogany stripe, and my Warmoth custom.

Hello Likes This 
Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why do you need a flow meter? A calibrated load cell with ADC should do the job for around $15 per keg slot, assuming you know the exact starting quantity (same assumption as using a flow meter). If you wanted it to be super accurate you could also work in the FG of each keg.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Why do you need a flow meter? A calibrated load cell with ADC should do the job for around $15 per keg slot, assuming you know the exact starting quantity (same assumption as using a flow meter). If you wanted it to be super accurate you could also work in the FG of each keg.
Every thread I've read indicates load cells and strain gauges are inaccurate at this weight. Also, they don't work if you cram your kegs in for a tight fit (which I do).

I'll gladly be proven wrong. Have plenty of Arduinos around to play with, and the GPIO is pretty simple to hook up with a few pieces in-line.

Let me know if you have spare load cells on hand.

Quick Reply