Eva Dry as heat source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingedcoyote

Reaction score
I have an Eva Dry dehumidifier in my ferm chamber -- the kind that works like Damp Rid but you can plug it in to dry out the beads. I also have a little space heater. Had a brain wave when I was fiddling with it earlier -- the Eva Dry kicks out noticeable heat when it's plugged in, so could I just keep it plugged into the heating side of my stc-1000 and use that as my heat source? If it worked I could save a little bit of space in my tiny chamber and it would presumably make the Eva Dry last longer between "rechargings".

Potential pifall #1: I don't know if it actually provides enough heat to be helpful. It feels hot to the touch when it's been plugged in a while, but I haven't done rigorous testing here.

Potential pitfall #2: I don't know for sure if the device can handle being in "hot" mode for a long time while already dried out.

Anybody played with something like this, or have any insight to share?

I like the idea. I admit I've left my Evadry plugged in too long and it still seems ok
The only risk is if you have humidity and no/not much call for heat

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't forget that the EvaDry is releasing it's trapped moisture back into the fermentation chamber while it is heating.

Back