Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Engineered polymer braid vs Stainless Steel Braid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
KyleWolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Engineered polymer braid vs Stainless Steel Braid

hey everyone,

So when creating my mashtun I screwed up and got the Engineered polymer braid rather than the stainless steel. Now I know there is a thread on here about Engineered polymer braid vs stainless, but my question is slightly different.

According to a video on how to create a mashtun, the people used 16 gauge wire spun around a pen and inserted it into the braid in order to maintain integrity. I have already done this...Do you think doing this would allow the polymer braid to work well as a filter?

Thanks

Kyle

Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleWolf View Post
So when creating my mashtun I screwed up.....
Sorry Kyle, your words. Sure you might get it to work, wouldn't surprise me. Some people brew quite a few batches with a polymer braid before trouble starts. For 5-10 bucks, I would highly advise getting an actual stainless braid that will work both better and longer...don't try any wheat w/ that falsie btw!

Oh and with regards to installing a wire to support the braid, I have never done this or felt the need. The right type of braid does just fine without help IME.

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 05-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My advice is to suck up the loss and go over to where they have the water heaters in Lowes or Depot. They have a 1" diameter stainless braided hose over there. Nice sturdy stuff.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The problem is that the polymer braids simply can't take the heat. Rather than discovering this in the middle of a mash, it's best to make sure you have the right one from the get-go.

As someone who has had to stick his hand into 155 degree mash when his braid slipped off the spigot, it is no fun to to have to do stuff when your tun is full.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The problem is that the polymer braids simply can't take the heat. Rather than discovering this in the middle of a mash, it's best to make sure you have the right one from the get-go.

As someone who has had to stick his hand into 155 degree mash when his braid slipped off the spigot, it is no fun to to have to do stuff when your tun is full.
hehe, not laughing at you...My last mashtun fell apart and wort and grains were pouring into my boiling bucket, the only way to stop it was to stick my hand in the mash and re-insert my manifold...I feel your pain.

Alright, well, it was worth the question.

wilserbrewer, Thanks for the comment about the wheat, that is actually what i was planning on brewing...
Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I also messed up and bought the polymer one - stupid thing is colored to look like metal. After taking the tube out, I couldn't see how it would work very well. I just went to menards and bought a real SS one for 4 bucks. I thought about trying to reinforce it, but decided to see if it there was a problem with collapsing first. So far so good.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
milholen
Recipes 

lol I just realized I did the same thing -- bought the polymer one instead of the SS. They shouldn't make it look so much like metal -- it's deceiving. I knew something was up when my cheap harbor freight dremel knock-off was cutting through it like butter!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
jessebymail
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

GAH, I even told the guy at the hardware store I needed stainless and snipped it and I see cloth coming out of the frayed ends... -_-

Quick Reply