Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Electricians: help me swap out an arc sensing circuit breaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Electricians: help me swap out an arc sensing circuit breaker

Bottom line is that I want my keezer with all of my other beer equipment in one of the bedrooms of my house. All of the bedrooms in my house have arc sensing circuit breakers which usually trip when a fridge kicks on. Doing this will also let me put my fermentation chamber in that room, which would be nice too. I have two spare standard circuit breakers with the same current rating as the arc sensing ones. The only thing that made me hesitate is that the arc sensing cb's have two wires going into them (a white and a black) while the standard ones have only the black. Can I just take the black from the arc sensing ones, put them into the standards, and put a wire nut or electrical tape on the white wires? Or, is the whole idea of this unsafe?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
kezgin
Recipes 

it's not unsafe(arc faults are a pretty new invention), but it's not up to code. if you want to do it, just put the white wire from the romex on the neutral bar, and put the black on the new breaker. obviously replacing the arc fault with the standard breaker

Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Okay good, that would have been my guess, but I prefer not to act on a guess with these matters. Thanks for the help.

d@mn code monkeys.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Agree with you there. Up to a certain point, building codes are a very good idea. But I've have multiple GFIs fail over the years and never had one activate protectively. Ditto, fire alarms. By code, I have to have three of them, all within a 12 foot span and all they ever do is honk for new batteries!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
kezgin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Agree with you there. Up to a certain point, building codes are a very good idea. But I've have multiple GFIs fail over the years and never had one activate protectively. Ditto, fire alarms. By code, I have to have three of them, all within a 12 foot span and all they ever do is honk for new batteries!
same here. i've been standing in water, using a drill and getting rapped off it, without the gfi tripping

Old 08-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4752 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezgin View Post
same here. i've been standing in water, using a drill and getting rapped off it, without the gfi tripping
Duud. Cordless. Seriosuly.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezgin View Post

You sure the GFCI is wired correctly? These are solid state devices and are very reliable normally. I don't like to use them on refrigeration equipment because they can trip with a power surge. They are designed with fail safe in mind. IOW, they tend to cut the circuit sometimes too easily, but that's better than the other way around. My concern with the refrigeration is that I may not be around to reset the GFCI and the contents could spoil before I realized that the equipment was not running.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
kezgin
Recipes 

can't use a cordless right angle drill. at least not one that has any balls. and it was wired correctly, dedicated circuit with no outlets slaved off it. and it was one of those smartlock ones, which won't reset if they're wired incorrectly

Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Done. I'm pumped but also nervous. That's the first time I've ever done anything behind the front panel of the breaker box. I took the black wire out of the arc sensing breaker and put it into the spare. I took the white from the arc sensing and put it into the bar with all of the other white wires. Turned the power back on and the outlets in the bedroom work.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Done. I'm pumped but also nervous. That's the first time I've ever done anything behind the front panel of the breaker box. I took the black wire out of the arc sensing breaker and put it into the spare. I took the white from the arc sensing and put it into the bar with all of the other white wires. Turned the power back on and the outlets in the bedroom work.
Keep the fire department on speed dial.

Quick Reply