New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Electric Heating Element for RIMs/eHERMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Handsaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
ceaker
Recipes 

Is there a reason you went with stainless steel over copper for the heating tube?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #73
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaker View Post
Is there a reason you went with stainless steel over copper for the heating tube?
When I was testing I used Copper, and I still have one unit. It works fine and would be a good way to go to reduce the cost. You can move the heat tape to stainless tubes later if you want too. If you go with copper you might want to watch for electrolysis if the plan is to mix metals.

I went with stainless since I think it holds up a little better.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #74
ceaker
Recipes 

I was actually thinking more of the better heat conductivity of copper rather than the cost. Can you explain more detail on the electrolysis issue?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #75
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaker View Post
I was actually thinking more of the better heat conductivity of copper rather than the cost. Can you explain more detail on the electrolysis issue?
If you insulate the tubes well, the heat should transfer even in a stainless steel tube. The major issue is laminar flow, that is why a spring is used to introduce turbulence into the heating pipe to help with heat transfer.

For the corrosion issue here is a great reference, depends greatly on the type of metal.

http://www.copper.org/applications/architecture/arch_dhb/fundamentals/arch_considerations.html

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #76
eggs
Recipes 

Hey, am thinking of putting something like this together. I'd like to put it in a toolbox or something similar. Assuming I used the same materials as you, do you think there is any chance I could get away with the heating pipes in the same small enclosure (thinking a 24"x9"x9" aluminium box) as the PID controller and the SSR? Or does the system, even well insulated, still just put out too much heat to operate in an enclosure with temperature sensitive electronics?

Thanks for the thread.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #77
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs View Post
Hey, am thinking of putting something like this together. I'd like to put it in a toolbox or something similar. Assuming I used the same materials as you, do you think there is any chance I could get away with the heating pipes in the same small enclosure (thinking a 24"x9"x9" aluminium box) as the PID controller and the SSR? Or does the system, even well insulated, still just put out too much heat to operate in an enclosure with temperature sensitive electronics?

Thanks for the thread.
When the mash is circulating, the tubes remain roughly at the temp of the exiting liquid, and significantly lower that than the temp of the exiting liquid on the outside of the insulation (I can put my hand on the outside of the insulation for as long as I like).

However, once the liquid stops circulating the temp rises quickly and the carry over heating can be significant. I am controlling the system by measuring the temp of the mash exiting the mash tun. If a sensor is placed at the entry of the tubes it might keep the over shoot in check.

You could put a reset-able thermal breaker in the case, one which would trip if the enclosure gets above the working temp of the PID.

I have thermal fuses in the box to make sure it never gets hot enough to cause a fire.

Joel

Quick Reply