HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Electric Heating Element for RIMs/eHERMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
rosienej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This weekend I am testing with a 10 gallon mash of a Dale-Pale Ale clone, and another 5 gallon batch. I will put up the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #42
Mac951
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How did the system work

So how did the beer turn out?

I've kept this as a plan, but for now I figure I better just work on brewing in general (all-grain is still new, batch #2 coming up with an IPA).

I will switch to a RIMS system, the question is whether it will be RIMS or HERMS, well technically they are all HERMS right?

My question for this system will involve something with a very stepped mash,
like a good oatmeal stout, or wheat beer. How do the steps go, and how are the results? I've read the recommended 2°F/min, does this perform faster or slower?

-Mac

Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #43
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac951 View Post
So how did the beer turn out?

I've kept this as a plan, but for now I figure I better just work on brewing in general (all-grain is still new, batch #2 coming up with an IPA).

I will switch to a RIMS system, the question is whether it will be RIMS or HERMS, well technically they are all HERMS right?

My question for this system will involve something with a very stepped mash,
like a good oatmeal stout, or wheat beer. How do the steps go, and how are the results? I've read the recommended 2°F/min, does this perform faster or slower?

-Mac
I had 24.5 lbs of grains and 7.5 gallons of water and I ending up filling up the 10 gallon Gott cooler to the top.

I mashed in at 122F and then set the PID target to 153F. Once it reached 153F, I held it at 153Ffor an hour (just let it run), and then I set the PID to 167F and once it it hit 167F, I held it at 167F for 15 minutes. I then batched sparged, by alternating the draining of some of the wort into the copper and replenishing with hot water. I closed the dump valve until I see the circulating mash running clear after the water addition. I repeated this until I collected 12 gallons for the boil.

I achieved 0.5 F degree rise per minute running with pump wide open (max flow), opposed to the 1.8F/minute reported to be used for programmed infusion mashing for some Belgians in Brewing:science and Practice woodhouse. They also use a 1F/minute in some of the tests on yield.

Quote:
All of them recirculate, but the HERMS applies heat indirectly to the pipe rather than putting the heating element in the flow of the mash.

The Heat tape approach outlined in this thread is similar to the HERMS in that the heat is applied to the outside of the pipe rather than putting the heating element in the flow.

You could go with more heating tape or more elements, but I was shooting for < 80% of a 15 amp circuit for the whole system to make sure it is safe.

My current plan is to change out the PID I have for a PID with Ramp-Soak so I can set my schedule and walk away.

The weekend brew sessions went well, with 10 gallons of a Dale-Pale-Ale clone and 5 gallons of an IPA being cycled through the system. The 5 gallon batch heat rise rate was about the same.

So far I have put > 10 Five gallon batches through the various versions of the system, and 2 ten gallons batches.

I plan to adjust flow rate/turbulence in the heaters (insert a coil of wire to break up laminar flow to see if I can improve the heat gain).

I have been having really good luck with it, and I think I have been making more consistent beers.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can be clearing on any of the build details.

As always use a GFCI

Joel

Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This weekend I am running two batches through the system.

I am putting in the following (see below) to introduce turbulence into the flow and increase heat transfer. I will try the stainless steel rod in the center of the pipe on one five gallon batch and record the rate of temp increase, and repeat with the spring only and the spring + rod.

89535K26 Multipurpose Stainless Steel (Type 304/304L), 5/16" Diameter, 6' Length
9663K78 302 Stainless Steel Cut-to-Length Compression Spring, 20" Length, .500" OD, .035" Wire Diameter

Last edited by rosienej; 04-01-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Corrected the Rod Diameter

Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #45
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put a length of stainless steel rod and a spring over the rod in the lower heating pipe and I am currently mashing 12 lbs of grains, with 1.25 qts/lb.

The ambient (outside) temp is 41 degrees Fahrenheit and with the modifications in one of the heating pipes I am getting >1 degree/minute rise. Preheated water and added grains and the system brought 140 degree mash to 153 in 13 minutes.

The system runs on 1 15Amp 110V circuit.

I may add a length of rod and spring to the upper heater, but this one has the brewmeter in it and I suspect I broke up the laminar flow in the lower heater and this introduced turbulence in the upper tube as well.

I don't think I will do any additional mods.

I will post final pictures soon.

Joel

Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #46
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finished two the mashes today, 12# and 13# of grains. System did between 1 degree F/minute and 1.25 degrees a minute. Outside temp started at 41F and at the end 50F.

1 to 1.5 degrees/min.

System ramps from mashing to mashout in < 15minutes. I must admit, once the mashing is done, I set the system for the mashout temp and forget it (deal with the getting the other batch into the fermenter).

I will post updates on reliability of the system.

Joel

Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #47
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All,

I chatted with someone who is majoring in bio-chem, and I don't understand why we want > 1 degree F per minute increase
in the mash temp. Everything I have been reading seems to indicate that it is the temp*time rather than the time which is important.

Joel

Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #48
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Due to the thermal mass in the tun, temp rise requires the wort coming out of the heat exchanger to be some delta higher than the desired new temp. To ramp faster than 1-2F per minute would require that temp to be something close to boiling and the very top of the tun and grain bed could be overheated.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #49
rosienej
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Due to the thermal mass in the tun, temp rise requires the wort coming out of the heat exchanger to be some delta higher than the desired new temp. To ramp faster than 1-2F per minute would require that temp to be something close to boiling and the very top of the tun and grain bed could be overheated.
Thanks. That is what I thought as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #50
strumke
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

How much additional temp control did you get by using the rod & spring? It would be one less thing to clean if I were to leave it out.

(not sure if you clean in place, but I was thinking of using tri-clamps to connect everything so I can easily disassemble for scrubbing)

Quick Reply