Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > electric brewing and temp controls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I like that controller. I can see one in my future as I convert my brewery to electric. Thanks for the tip.
Congrats, use an open mind then decide what's needed as well what you can afford and desire. Don't limit yourself ending up with a system needing another future upgrade.

The BCS 460 is a very simple system without you being a computer high tech person to operate plus has a great support system. Only those that do not know this system will knock a computer controlled up and down loaded system like the BCS 460 unit. I'm by far not a computer wise person, proof that's it's an easy and accuracte system to use and operate. Opinions are easy to say, without knowing with hands on with a 460 unit sorry I don't buy some replies without those that have not had a direct hands on with this unit. JMO with what I picked for my brewing control system not wanting to be super high tech and over my computer ability vs only staying at being a basic caveman with a 1920's brewing style and operation.
Glad to see you've looked into a BCS 460 system. A full manual system is great if that's your thing as well propane or a wood fire heating system, pick what makes you happy. I like to down load and repeat a good brew, the BCS 460 allows this. A happy BCS 460 owner.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 10-31-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #12
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

With Adam that built the 460 with the help of his tech designers you'll have plenty of support if needed. Quick answers as well Adams a HBT member and a prince of a person. Build a simple high tech electric system not a can of worms the first time out with many overpriced useless items. I must admit I will pay $140 for a stainless level control unit on my MLT to maintain the level. Save smart on some items then spend extra on other needed or must have items. I want the best system for the cost I can afford for my brewing ability and needs. Electrically controlled by the BCS 460 works great for me. With 11KW heating and 5.5KW maintaining temps i'm happy.
Best of luck with your build, well collected ideas and designs from many others on this forum then build what you want for your own special system built right the first time.
Redesign and correct on paper not on your brewery system, it's way cheaper this way, ask my wife.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 10-31-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok i'll buck popular opinion, Installl two elements, one properly sized to mantain a nice boil depending on batch size, and the secondary element to reach a boil in a reasonable amount of time. Switch on / switch off. Both on to reach boil, one on to maintain a nice boil. Too simple??

Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Ok i'll buck popular opinion, Installl two elements, one properly sized to mantain a nice boil depending on batch size, and the secondary element to reach a boil in a reasonable amount of time. Switch on / switch off. Both on to reach boil, one on to maintain a nice boil. Too simple??
With that system you're limited to just the one batch size and if the boil element isn't optimal you'll wind up scorching the wort. This controller not only will supply optimum heat, but it can control pumps, display mash temperature, HLT temperature, and boil temperature. You can fill the HLT and start the system remotely as soon as you get up in the morning. You can have your shower, some breakfast and coffee, and when the HLT is up to temperature you go and start your brew.

Not only for brewing, but I'd like a unit like that to monitor my sewage, water, and heat pumps in the house. When I'm not brewing it will be my alarm system. I'm a bit of a gadget junkie.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #15
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
The electric system I built only needs one PID and one SSR so it cuts down on the costs a bit.
But not very automated or able to up or down load or alter into your main computer plus allowing for changes in the next brew session or alterations as needed plus the ability to exactly repeat from a past liked brewing process result. There are trade offs, I chose simple without sticking with 1920 brewing processes or over the top in computer high tech programing.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #16
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3301 Times on 2056 Posts
Likes Given: 2822

Hey beemer, each brewer decides how much automation they want. No wrong answers here. That doesn't make some decisions antiquated... folks just want a more hands-on session.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Growing into brewing in little steps like 3 going on the 4th build (that was me and stupid) or grow from one step into brewing into a nice automated system skipping the extra wasted money, steps and time with soon needed upgrades. My trip cost me 14 years hence not that bad in dollars over time.
Just a heads up to plan out for the future needs instead of building over and over again unless extra money is pouring out of your wallet or butt.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Money often comes out of my butt...

Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #19
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ya can't say that now for those two airheads that overshot their landing by 150 miles recently, saw on the news their licenses were suspended. I bet that doesn't look too good on their past record looking for another job unless crop dusting was it?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Ya can't say that now for those two airheads that overshot their landing by 150 miles recently, saw on the news their licenses were suspended. I bet that doesn't look too good on their past record looking for another job unless crop dusting was it?
They will never fly again probably... but they were idiots. Idiots get what is coming to them, they are a disgrace to what used to be a proud profession.

Quick Reply