LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #191
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

While working in MI. for a number of months in 2010/2011 I got to experience a start up brewery get off the ground.

They took a page or two from Sam's book "Brewing Up Business". Their model seemed very similar and they started on a Sabco system brewing three brews a day 6 days a week. Now that is dedication in my book.

In the last year and a half they have made three expansions, both in the brewery and the tasting room/bar. A coworker who lives in the area and now frequents the brewery informed me they are looking for space for a production facility.

I have a suggestion in addition to a "happy hour" or growler fills that worked well for the brewery above. A mug/glass club where the club member pays say $25-$50 for their own beer vessel. What they get in return is up to you, reduced cost of a pint, members only happy hour, invitations to members only new release party's. You get the idea. This will get you some regulars who can produce a repeating monthly revenue that helps you plan for you future investments while also providing you with a group for marketing studies.

I have seen this model produce favorable results in a number of establishments. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #192
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
While working in MI. for a number of months in 2010/2011 I got to experience a start up brewery get off the ground.

They took a page or two from Sam's book "Brewing Up Business". Their model seemed very similar and they started on a Sabco system brewing three brews a day 6 days a week. Now that is dedication in my book.

In the last year and a half they have made three expansions, both in the brewery and the tasting room/bar. A coworker who lives in the area and now frequents the brewery informed me they are looking for space for a production facility.

I have a suggestion in addition to a "happy hour" or growler fills that worked well for the brewery above. A mug/glass club where the club member pays say $25-$50 for their own beer vessel. What they get in return is up to you, reduced cost of a pint, members only happy hour, invitations to members only new release party's. You get the idea. This will get you some regulars who can produce a repeating monthly revenue that helps you plan for you future investments while also providing you with a group for marketing studies.

I have seen this model produce favorable results in a number of establishments. Good luck.
Funny...
I have sold 9 $100 memberships to my brewery. Yes the one that is not built yet. I know funny right! I too am building a small system 200L with 160L and 320L fermenters and bright tanks. I figure I sell memberships to get some build capital. I will stop selling memberships when I have enough capital. I am guessing 250 for the brewery and beer bar and 250 for the winery and wine bar. Thus giving me almost $50,000 (members get 2 engraved pint glasses 1 goes home with them) in build out capital and operating capital.
I have already located the brewery tanks and fermentation and am in the final stages of securing it. Small details.....

Hay I have to say its threads like this that really helps people, like all of us who have visions of grandeur. It’s great to see such a large group of people with real life input!
Thanks for taking the time (once you open we will never see you again ....Uhhh Naked City ring a bell) to give such great detail....I will be using some of it for sure.
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
STRYKER662 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #193
Scottkb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

You put 100% of the hop matter into the fermenter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
I seem to recall hearing something to the 10-15% range. Its not hard in CO to evaporate quickly if need be.

I'm not sure the heating elements will be on tri clover. But they will have easy disconnects from the panel. I've only seen one person that makes a tri clover to 1" pipe thread and thats Derrin and they are $70 a piece. With 6 elements ...... no thanks. I'll probably just punch holes in teh sides of the kettles like I did on my current rig. Use the gasket and a 1" SS nut. I'd rather CIP it if I can.

For chilling I think I will need a plate chiller or a CFC. I currently no chill. So it will be a switch for me. No chill will not be possible with Plastic fermenters and 35 gallons per batch. It will take days to get down to temp. If I go Plate, hops will be an issue to resolve. CFC might be the better route.

I dont seperate the hops from the wort currently. I just try my best to keep as much as possible out of the fermenter, but I don't think that will be a big deal when I get the conicals. It will settle out and I can just dump the trub. I'll get it figured out. I was thinking of using whole leaf and a big ass hop spider? Or using pellet and dealing with it being in my fermenter like I do now. My Brewery is called "High Gravity Brewing, Inc.". Hops aren't usually a problem and I've never detected any off flavors in my big bold ales.

But its stuff like this that makes test batches a necessity. I'll have 3 months of beer I can't sell....... I'm going to have to have lots of parties.

-Scott B

Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #194
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkb View Post
You put 100% of the hop matter into the fermenter?
I wouldn't say 100%, but a good portion of it. Never had any off flavors .... I did start using a Heat exchanger for cooling, so I've stopped letting all the hop matter leave the boil kettle so as not to clog it.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #195
cruelkix
Recipes 

Update for people that think this thread has died .... I hate real estate. I'm still hunting .....

Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #196
TravisT
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Update for people that think this thread has died .... I hate real estate. I'm still hunting .....
http://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/3047169130.html

just ran across this, if it works out do i get free beer as a finders fee???

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #197
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
http://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/3047169130.html

just ran across this, if it works out do i get free beer as a finders fee???
Dude that is pretty awesome. You should jump on that!!! I actually may have found a place last night. I was at the city getting permits for the property this morning. So far zoning is good with it .... I have a long way to go.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #198
TravisT
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Dude that is pretty awesome. You should jump on that!!! I actually may have found a place last night. I was at the city getting permits for the property this morning. So far zoning is good with it .... I have a long way to go.
aww what part of town? ps i'm way too lazy to be a pro brewer.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #199
cruelkix
Recipes 

Default Leased a building!!

So I finally did it. I leased a building!!!

Check it out

http://www.facebook.com/HighGravityBrewing

And like me!!

I'm going to do most of my updating their now. So that's the best way to follow my progress as it includes people that are not on homebrewtalk as well.

-Craig

Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #200
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quick Reply