Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Electric 1.5 BBL Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
cruelkix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Electric 1.5 BBL Upgrade

So I've decided to go Nano. I've started to build the new rig and figured I would document it here.

Here's the google sketchup I started with:

From there it was time to learn to weld. I bought a really crappy MIG welder to build the frame and got the 55 gallon stainless steel drums of Ebay. 3 for $750 shipped. I've heard of others getting better deals, but its the best I could find at the time.

Here's the rig where it sits right now. Lots left to do. This pic really makes the bottom beam look like its bending.... It doesnt look like that in real life.

And a quick video of the Tippy Dumpy in action. Still need to figure out how to make it NOT swing while I'm brewing.

Some close ups of the hubs I got off a front wheel drive car at a junk yard.

And a comparison pic of my keggle system vs the 55 gallon system. Pour little guy is all jealous of its big brother

And I'll be using 1" tri clover fittings through out.

Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nice work! Are you going to use a herms coil in the HLT? Will you be taking your other system apart or buying all new for this? Can you weld a latch onto the tippy dump to lock it when in use, that shouldn't be too hard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
Nice work! Are you going to use a herms coil in the HLT? Will you be taking your other system apart or buying all new for this? Can you weld a latch onto the tippy dump to lock it when in use, that shouldn't be too hard.
From what I've read of other people going 1.5BBL you really don't need the HERMs to maintain temps. Its so much mass that the temp drop over an hour is like 2 degrees. I'm going to start without it and see what happens.

I will be cannibalizing all the electrical from my old system.

Yeah, I'll figure something out. Shouldn't be too hard. I want 3 positions. Fill, Dump, and upright.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
smoa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To keep it from swinging you could use a gate latch like this

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202205489/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
rvklein
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome. Good luck on your project!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

subscribed

Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I really like the idea of using car hubs. This rig is already looking really nice. Imagine how amazing it'll look when you're done!

What are your thoughts regarding fermentation? For example, source for purchasing the vessels, cooling the vessels, etc.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

awesome, just one comment think you will need to beef up the stand when you add water, grains etc... that will be alot of weight added to the stand especially in the center for the Mash Tun. just my $.02

Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would really think about adding a set of swivel casters in the middle. if it's not bending now it will be when you get a couple hundred #s of grain and water in the mashtun.

My Build My Photo Gallery

Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
I really like the idea of using car hubs. This rig is already looking really nice. Imagine how amazing it'll look when you're done!

What are your thoughts regarding fermentation? For example, source for purchasing the vessels, cooling the vessels, etc.
Thanks! The car Hubs were cheap. My Dad's idea. He works at the car recycle place. $40 for something I KNOW will hold the weight. For fermentation I'm going to get some 3 BBL plastic conicals and do double batches into them. Cooling them has mme a bit at a loss atm. I'll either put them in the cold room and go ambient, or drop a SS coil down the middle. Fermeneters are the next project before I actually rent a place to start brewing. I want all my equipment good to go before I drop the Money on 3 months of rent I'll never see profit from. Damn Government ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoa View Post
Nice off the shelf idea. Thanks. I may have to go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxdiver View Post
awesome, just one comment think you will need to beef up the stand when you add water, grains etc... that will be alot of weight added to the stand especially in the center for the Mash Tun. just my $.02
I know it might not look like it, but the stand is a tank. I'll add support where needed. It's all 1.5" square tubing. I'm not too worried about it. I bought gussets for all the corners which i will most likely install in some places. Besides, I will DEFINITELY be doing a few water tests to make sure everything is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
I would really think about adding a set of swivel casters in the middle. if it's not bending now it will be when you get a couple hundred #s of grain and water in the mashtun.
I bought 8 of them. I have 4 more. I just wanted to get the step in front figured out. I will be adding them. Each kettle is going to weight like 400 lbs when full. It's a lot of weight. 4 casters were rated for enough, but I got the extra 4 to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvklein View Post
Awesome. Good luck on your project!
Thanks for all the advice and "Good Luck"s everyone.

Last edited by cruelkix; 04-27-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Changed from "very much not" to "not too worried", I would be lying if I werent worried a bit
foodplusbeer Likes This 

Quick Reply