LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default ebay temp controller tip

I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not. I have wired 2 of them and they work fine....however they BOTH needed calibrated. I am not sure if I did it correctly but I put the probe in ice water and then adjusted it ( hold in the S button until the F1 appears then scroll with the up and down arrows until you get to F4. Hold in the S button and adjust the reading to 0) anyway before using yours, check it to see if it is correct.

BALDGUT BREWS
wolfman_48442 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is this controller capable of being two-point calibrated? A one-point calibration is certainly better than nothing and does ensure that the controller is fairly accurate near the single calibration point but it does nothing to ensure accuracy further from the calibration point. You're setting the intercept but not the slope. A second calibration point lets you set both.

If you can only do a one point calibration, I would recommend the boiling point of DI water (corrected for elevation or better current atmospheric pressure) instead since it is much closer to mash temperatures than is the freezing point of water. Another option is to do a two point calibration and develop and calibration curve even if the controller itself isn't able to be two point calibrated. Just note the temperature the controller measures when placed in a DI ice slurry and a DI boiling water bath. Plot the controller reading on the y-axis and the true reading on the x-axis and connect the two points with a line. Then any reading taken off the controller can be easily corrected. Find the temperature the controller reads on the y-axis and move sideways until you reach the calibration line, then travel straight downward until you reach the x-axis. That is the corrected temperature.

The same thing can be done with multiple boiling points such as pure grain alcohol (actually only 95% ethanol and balance water) which boils at 172.6°F; a very useful third calibration point for homebrewers.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know if it's capable of 2-point calibration. But, since I am using mine for a fermentation chamber, I will calibrate it at 0. Thanks for the tip, OHIOSTEVE!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

These are for fermentation ChemE

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gotcha. What about their ability to accept more than one calibration point? I've long been curious about these.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
Gotcha. What about their ability to accept more than one calibration point? I've long been curious about these.
no clue
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
These are for fermentation ChemE
And keezers (and even my ghetto gas fired HERMS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
Nope, just a single +/- adjustment to shift the scale. I have 2 of the dual stage ones and 3 of the single stage ones. The single stage ones seem slightly more accurate across a wide temp range, and their SS probes have a much faster response time than the rubber ones used on the dual stage, but they're all surprisingly accurate. All but one of mine were calibrated accurately out of the box, but maybe I just got lucky. I did however need to adjust the ones in my HERMS control panel after I tripled the length of the temp probe wires.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply