The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay temp controller ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default ebay temp controller ??

Can the probe that comes with the ebay controller be submerged? I am having fits with my ferment room. I went out just now and the heater had shut down, luckily I had a replacement...was out earlier and it was running but with the probe taped to the carboy it was reading 10c.... I am about to beat my head against the wall lol.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
A4C
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I had the heating side on two different controller crap out on me. Not entirely sure why.

Kegged: Oranges Revolt - Orange Lager
Kegged: Hibiscus Tripel
Kegged: Bedtime Wheat
Fermenting: Basic Bock, Kolsch, Mango Kolsch, Black Lager

Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4C View Post
I had the heating side on two different controller crap out on me. Not entirely sure why.
controller is working fine...heater quit
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It's billed as an Aquarium Temp Controller so one would think so, BUT it is a Chinese import so the quality may be slightly questionable. FWIW, I'd pick up some SS tube and make a thermowell if you want to submerse it.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
It's billed as an Aquarium Temp Controller so one would think so, BUT it is a Chinese import so the quality may be slightly questionable. FWIW, I'd pick up some SS tube and make a thermowell if you want to submerse it.
I thought about that after I posted.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
xcender
Recipes 

I have 2 of these temp controllers and I keep both of them submerged in a 44oz cups of water and I have not had any issues. No thermowell is necessary, but if you want to be safe and don't mind spending the time, or money you could do that.

I keep the cup of water close to the better bottles in my fermentation chamber, and next to kegs in my keezer. After 6 months I have not noticed any changes in the functionality of either one of my temp controllers.

In my opinion submerging the probe best way to keep your feedback swing stable. You can also install a fan in there to keep the ambient temp more common vice cold at bottom and hot at top with some changes when cool/hot cycles are started.

Sorry about the heater blowing out.. is there any documentation on it that suggests a period of time that you should wait between on/off cycles... if so you can set this on the controller (compressor delay function). I heat/cool a good sized chamber so I just use a small ceramic space heater I picked up at Wal-Mart for $20, but I don't think that will help you if you are controlling a whole room.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcender View Post
I have 2 of these temp controllers and I keep both of them submerged in a 44oz cups of water and I have not had any issues. No thermowell is necessary, but if you want to be safe and don't mind spending the time, or money you could do that.

I keep the cup of water close to the better bottles in my fermentation chamber, and next to kegs in my keezer. After 6 months I have not noticed any changes in the functionality of either one of my temp controllers.

In my opinion submerging the probe best way to keep your feedback swing stable. You can also install a fan in there to keep the ambient temp more common vice cold at bottom and hot at top with some changes when cool/hot cycles are started.

Sorry about the heater blowing out.. is there any documentation on it that suggests a period of time that you should wait between on/off cycles... if so you can set this on the controller (compressor delay function). I heat/cool a good sized chamber so I just use a small ceramic space heater I picked up at Wal-Mart for $20, but I don't think that will help you if you are controlling a whole room.
I call it a room but it is a 4x4x7 SMALL room. Everything is working fine right now. Taped the probe to the side of the carboy and covered it in 3-4 layers of bubble wrap.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I also have the aquarium temp controller and keep it submerged in a bottle.

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Quick Reply