Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > EBay fish tank controller build using Wal-mart parts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #241
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
I finally took the two seconds to look that up online and you are correct. No go. That leaves me with a light bulb or a small heater.
http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyHe...o+space+heater

I just bought this. I have prime so shipping was free, but its VERY small, i'd say about 2/3 the side of the paint can. I've also spoken with a bunch of people on here who use this exact model for 7 cu chest freezers. I have a 4.4 mini fridge so it'll work fine for me but it can work on almost double my space. This is perfect for me cuz it sits right on the back shelf.

Either way, goodluck!
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #242
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Well light bulbs also put out UV light, so the "light bulb in a paint bucket" trick would work. Or just use a ceramic heat lamp.

MC
Incandescent bulbs are cased in a UV absorbing glass. What miniscule amount of UV the incandescent filament does emit is then trapped by the glass. The remainder of the UV, if any, that escapes the actual bulb is nearly unmeasurable by testing equipment.

It is HARMLESS to the yeast.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #243
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Incandescent bulbs are cased in a UV absorbing glass. What miniscule amount of UV the incandescent filament does emit is then trapped by the glass. The remainder of the UV, if any, that escapes the actual bulb is nearly unmeasurable by testing equipment.

It is HARMLESS to the yeast.
From my research, hops are susceptible to skunking by the 350-500 nanometer wavelengths, which include upper UV and lower visible light. Therefore hops can be skunked by the blue portion of the incandescent bulb's spectrum. IMO, wort/beer should be shielded from an incandescent bulb by plastic fermenter walls/lid, carboy cover, paint can, brown glass, etc.
Big Breasted Blonde
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Re-a-Ranger IPA

Next Up:
An Amber of some sort

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #244
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
And the schematics...

The blue wires are the sensor wires.

M_C
Alright this is a great diagram but I wanna ask real quick so I don't screw this up. For breaking the connection on the outlet, I just wanna confirm its the piece connecting the top and bottom ON THE RIGHT. Where the two green wires are coming from in this picture, not the ones on the left (as your facing it).
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #245
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
From my research, hops are susceptible to skunking by the 350-500 nanometer wavelengths, which include upper UV and lower visible light. Therefore hops can be skunked by the blue portion of the incandescent bulb's spectrum. IMO, wort/beer should be shielded from an incandescent bulb by plastic fermenter walls/lid, carboy cover, paint can, brown glass, etc.
Better safe than sorry... I use a bulb-in-a-can sometimes. Most often, I use DIY brew Heat tape.

Cheers man...

Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #246
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
Alright this is a great diagram but I wanna ask real quick so I don't screw this up. For breaking the connection on the outlet, I just wanna confirm its the piece connecting the top and bottom ON THE RIGHT. Where the two green wires are coming from in this picture, not the ones on the left (as your facing it).
Correct. The small jumper tab connecting the two brass screw plates on the short blade side of the receptacle should be removed to separate the heat and cool receptacles. There are two green wires attached to that area in that diagram. You can grab it with pliers and break it off with a few back and forth bends.
Big Breasted Blonde
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Re-a-Ranger IPA

Next Up:
An Amber of some sort

Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #247
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just put my first Lager up to ferment in my fermentation fridge yesterday. Taped the sensor to the side of the carboy with a piece of duct tape. Covered the sensor with a 1/2 inch thick piece of foam rubber first. Working great. Chilled it to 9C, pitched my yeast, boosted it to 10.5C and it is bubbling along gently and starting to get a nice Krausen. Up until brewing that, used it to cold crash some of my bottle conditioned ales that had never really cleared up. That was another great use. I'm going to really like this thing! Thanks for all the instruction and advice.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #248
Misplaced_Canuck

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Thanks for all the instruction and advice.
Thanks for the thanks. Sadly, Tinypic has eaten some of my pictures. I'll have to try to find the originals and re-upload them.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #249
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Subscribing

Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #250
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
Subscribing
Just FYI you can also subscribe to threads by using the "Thread Tools" menu (upper right corner of the page). Not trying to be a PITA and it's no big thing, I'm just a fan of subscribing through the menu since it avoids unnecessarily bumping the thread and pulling in thread subscribers like me who want to see what the update was.

Quick Reply