Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #81
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Sounds like it would work to me, if you don't get enough heat from the light bulb you could always wire in a 2nd one. You may also want to think about wiring in a little muffin fan/computer fan for circulating the air.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #82
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great idea on the fan!

Thanks
Joe

Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #83
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You know, if you've got a 12V power adapter, you could just mount one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96144

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #84
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbox0 View Post
You know, if you've got a 12V power adapter, you could just mount one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96144
That heater is listed at 13A, the controller is only listed for 10A.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #85
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3202 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Android,

Thank you for posting this buddy, I think I found my answer. This is what I am trying to accompish:

I have a 15CF chest freezer that is dedicated to fermenting two sanke kegs of 10 gallon batches each. During the summer my garage is hot. I purchased this http://www.chicompany.net/freezer-co...-bulb-933.html
and think it is a POS that will work for the summer if I can ever dial in the temperature correctly.

Now the winter is a different story. I will need heating since the garage drops to 40ish at times. I was considering doing exactly what you did with the control box and receptacle. One for cooling and one for heating. The cooling is obviously accomplished by the freezer and MY heating would be accomplished by a 100W lightbulb secured within the freezer.

Does this sound like it will work?

Thanks for the help
Joe
Should work fine. Since my fermenters are clear glass, I used an infrared heat bulb I got at the pet store instead of a regular light bulb. It's 100W and provides more than enough heat to keep my chamber warm. The thermal mass of 20 gal of beer doesn't need a whole lot of help to keep a constant temperature.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #86
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

light bulbs work fine, but i'm going to use a little space heater. the one we have (not sure what amperage it draws, looks much beefier than that HF one) works fine plugged into the 'heat' outlet.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #87
Weissbier
Recipes 

Here is mine, works like a charm. Using 2 brewbelts because my closet is real cold right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #88
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just crammed mine in a 4x4x4 PVC enclosure. Seems to be working! Thanks for the wiring discussion earlier in the thread, I had mine mis-configured at first, and was able to look through this thread and see where I went wrong. Now I just need to assemble a chamber and get the heater / cooler set up. One step at a time I guess

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #89
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just got mine in the mailbox today. I've already got the wiring in place so I'll be installing it tonight once I've triple checked all the connections. I'm planning on putting it through the collar on my keezer then probably putting a small junction box on the backside. Then I can flip the switch and shout manically 'It's ALIVE!'

All that'll be left then will be to create a frame around the cover, tile the surface, and get real taps to replace the picnic taps.

EDIT: Iiiiit'ssss Allliiivvvveeeee! I really like the controller, dead simple to wire in, and the degree of flexability is awesome for something this cheap. I just need to print out that C->F chart.

Last edited by Jawbox0; 03-27-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #90
Great_Neck_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

I just wanted to thank Andrew and all you guys for posting replys on this thread. I just got mine in the mail and can't wait to get this hooked up. The thing that suprised me was the size, it's small. Can we use another temp probe?

Thanks again

Quick Reply