Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #631
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
would one of these work? only $3 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Thermome...85044939776698
would one of those work for what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #632
big_al_in_k-zoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That seems to be only a display of the Temperature. Not a controller of any type.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #633
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
would one of these work? only $3 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Thermome...85044939776698
it would work in a thermowell or just to read the ambient temperature, but no it can't control anything.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #634
Groo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Simple question I hope.

How are you mounting these to your boxes? What is the thickness of the box you can use to mount it too?

I have a 3/4" thick box that I'd like to use but wasn't sure if it would work. I'm just trying to get my stuff together before mine arrives.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #635
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo View Post
Simple question I hope.

How are you mounting these to your boxes? What is the thickness of the box you can use to mount it too?

I have a 3/4" thick box that I'd like to use but wasn't sure if it would work. I'm just trying to get my stuff together before mine arrives.
It has orange sliding clips that hold it against the panel. You can see them in this pic, and you can see the plastic teeth on the side of the controller that the clips "click" into to hold.

I don't know how far back you can slide them and still have them grip the controller properly, but it looks like it's less than 3/4".

But, to tell you the truth, I didn't even use the clips on mine. The hole I cut is a tight fit. I used a decent amount of force to push it through there and it ain't going anywhere unless I make a good effort to get it out.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #636
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In for one for use on my freezer. Was about to pull the trigger on a Love controller, but this guy looks pretty awesome. Now I'll just have to break into my freezer's electrical box and figure out how I want to work with this guy...

I'm getting tired of Paypal not accepting gift cards, and everyone on eBay only using paypal. I received a lot of gift cards for Christmas this year, and I'm buying the things that I was supposed to use them for, but can't use them!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 AM   #637
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have essentially no experience with electronics, but I want to learn and this project seems like a good way to start. I just ordered the controller and picked up the larger project box from Radioshack. So besides the controller, project box and outlet, what else will I need (electrical tape, wire caps, wire, etc?).

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #638
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

wire caps are fine, solder gun is not required. you could use a bus bar, but no reason. I would get some 14 gauge wire. I had a bunch of 15 amp house wire, that I stripped the external casing of(the white shrink style wrap) and pull the wire out of that. You can build a box(radio shack 8x6x3 I think) and plug your fridge into it, then run your probe into the fridge between the door gasket and the fridget gasket(I put mine on the side of my carboy with insulation on top of it held with bungies). If you choose to install it, you will need to bypass the factory thermo. When I installed my love, I got a cheapo volt tester, found the power to the thermo, pigtailed it and ran it through 10/4 wire to my love. I can send detailed pics or answer question if you have them. I also install outlets that were on with the compressor, one with the heater and always on. So I could run fans and stir plates. You could build a relay to the fan outlet that would be active when the compressor or the heater outlet is on. I use a 40watt clamp light for a heater. (sorry drinking ed's applewine)

Edit- Think I used 14-4 with a ground wire, so 5 wires, not 10/4, blame the apple wine!

My hop stopper

Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #639
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mildoggy sounds like you got a nice set up but i think that may be a little too much for what anchorbock is wanting (although I may bug you soon about it ). anchorbock if you buy a 10' 14 g extension cord you can just cut a bunch of 6-8" pieces from that to get your wire needed to hook everything up while still having plenty left over to power the controller. wire nuts will be the easiest way to hook everything up. I cant think of the color off hand but it should be the kind that can fit 4 14g wires. A pair of wire strippers make the job much easier but you can also use a razor blade or scissors if your careful. other than that you will need basic tools like a dremel to cut the box to fit the controller and a drill for the power wire and temp probe. I didnt use any electrical tap on mine since everything hooks up and no wires are exposed or needed taping (because of the wire nuts)

Old 01-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #640
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I bought a 14' 14g extention cord i just cut the wire I needed from the shorter piece. wire nuts are going to be just fine and I used a razor blade to cut my hole in my project box, just scored several times to get a nice groove and just kept working it until I could poke through and cut it.

you know a serrated knife might be able to cut it better I am thinking skill saw / scroll saw blade.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply