Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #611
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

based on comparing to a couple of other thermometers that I have (a digital probe and a glass floater), my probe is off by about 0.5*C. It's not uncommon for probes to be off a little due to slight manufacturing variations.

In fact, I don't think I've ever had a single thermometer or temp probe that was 100% accurate. The little digital probe thermometer I have was off by about 2*F when I got it, and the large RTD probe I use for my HERMS was off by about 1.5*F.

edit: I calibrated my other digital probes using both boiling water and crushed ice water, and then tweaking their offsets to get them accurate. I'm now just comparing that calibrated probe with the ebay controller reading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #612
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

awesome 6x4x2 box is prefect. I bought the large box from the SHACK and ended up cutting my box down to 2" tall its longer and wider than I'd like however so I think the smaller is going to work out just perfect for me. I'll buy another box and sell my existing pre-built unit here on HBT to some one how needs it for a Keezer and not a dual stage fermenter system.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #613
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know if a 6x3x2 project box would work? It's the largest one that my local Radio Shack sells and I really don't want to drive 30 miles to get a larger size if I don't need it. I'm planning on having the temp controller mounted to the "front" of the box similar to the picture that Walker posted on the previous page. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #614
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ozz68 View Post
Does anyone know if a 6x3x2 project box would work? It's the largest one that my local Radio Shack sells and I really don't want to drive 30 miles to get a larger size if I don't need it. I'm planning on having the temp controller mounted to the "front" of the box similar to the picture that Walker posted on the previous page. Thanks!
It won't work very well. My controller is mounted on the 4x2 face in that pic, and you are talking about mounting it on a 3x2 face, right?

The controller itself is just under 3" wide, but there are plastic posts inside of the project box to receive the screws that hold the lid on, so you won't have a full 3" of width inside to work with. with the 4" wide face, the controller just barely fits between those screw posts. (You can see where the lid's screws go down in in the pic, and they are pretty much right beside the contoller's sides.)

Now... you could probably cut through the posts and maybe get it in there (the screws are short and don't need the full depth of the receiving post), but it would probably be a pain in the butt.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to turn it sideways and mount the controller on the 6x2 face either, because the controller would stick too deep into the box and wouldn't fit.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #615
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I just don't like the idea of paying more to ship the box to me then the box itself cost.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #616
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ozz68 View Post
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I just don't like the idea of paying more to ship the box to me then the box itself cost.
If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you, you can get small electrical boxes for about $7 there and use that. Here's someone else's pic from earlier in the thread that used such a box, but you can get them smaller than this one:

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #617
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most radio shacks ive talked to will do a site to store or store to store free shipping call and ask them about it

Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #618
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I just got back from my local radio shack to ask about shipping the project box to the store either from another store or from their warehouse and the manager said that "because it's not expensive enough they would have to charge me for shipping it to the store, BUT because they don't carry this size project box it is eligible for FREE shipping directly to my house because I'm ordering it in store and not online".

So it should be arriving by the end of the week, about the same time I'm expecting the temp. controller to arrive. Which means I should have cold beer flowing from my keezer by this weekend.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #619
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

maybe thats what i ment to say. I went one time and they didnt have any but i remembered there was a way to get free shipping one way or the other. Sounds like thats the best possible solution glad it worked out. The project boxes are really nice to work with i have 1 for a temp controller, 1 for a stir plate and 1 for a blower for my tower (thats what she said).

Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #620
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know if a 16 gauge cord would work? I see most people mention using a 14 gauge cord, but I have an extra 16 gauge laying around and thought I would use it if it would work............Thanks!

Quick Reply