New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #601
Cazamodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is a real noob question.
Im in the UK, will the UK plugs just wire directly in like the US ones?
I mean into the power supply, the heat/cool out, I can just substitue the US sockets for UK ones right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #602
ShakerD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You are going to want the 220 version instead of the 110. The auction I bought from stated that the seller would send the right voltage for your country but I would make sure of that before I order. The outlets/sockets should be pretty interchangeable. If you can't get the outlets easily you could always use a powerbar extension cord.

That being said if you have to ask this question maybe you should see if you could find a friend that is an electrician or has some experience with electricity to guide/help you. This is a simple project but electricity is dangerous and one wrong wire could cause a fire or worse kill you.

Cheers

Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #603
Cazamodo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerD View Post
You are going to want the 220 version instead of the 110. The auction I bought from stated that the seller would send the right voltage for your country but I would make sure of that before I order. The outlets/sockets should be pretty interchangeable. If you can't get the outlets easily you could always use a powerbar extension cord.

That being said if you have to ask this question maybe you should see if you could find a friend that is an electrician or has some experience with electricity to guide/help you. This is a simple project but electricity is dangerous and one wrong wire could cause a fire or worse kill you.

Cheers

Yea, I was worried I may end up electrocuting myself, or worse someone else! I know a good electrician that I'm sure will be able to easily help me, just wanted to know if the were interchangeable!

Cheers!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #604
Mobius570
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been watching this thread since day 1 and finally pulled the trigger on one.

I'm about to brew a Mad Elf clone and hope to have it before brew day, so I can slap into a newly built ferm chamber. Basement this time of year is way too cold. Great find!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #605
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

yeah right now my keezer is sitting at 7° Celsius with it turned off and unplugged and has been since I started build my keezer a couple weeks ago. I need to get my mini fridge in the garage or house and see what the temp is inside the house turned off

I am still looking for a free of dirt cheap fridge to be had so I don't have to build anything.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #606
frod1963
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks again for the link to this controller. I ordered mine Monday and got started on the box.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #607
jayfaustini
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally getting around to wiring my controllers.
I have several 14 gauage power cords I am thinking of using.
Seems to me that 14 guage wire is sufficient.
Am I correct?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #608
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yup...14 is good for 15 amps.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #609
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

aaaaaaaand, another one in a 6x4x2 box. I think i could have gotten it into a 4x4x2 box, but they didn't sell that size.

If anyone is considering this but afraid of doing the work, don't fret. My 8 year old wanted to help me, so I let him do a good chunk of the work. I cut the rectangle holes and stripped wires, he did the drilling and wiring.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #610
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive got mine hooked up and running the first 2 beers everything temp wise was right on the money. Yesterday i started my 3rd beer with the probe tapped to the side of the carboy with a folded paper towel over it and my temp reading is 0.5 C too high. I have repositioned the probe, checked the temp with a highly accurate thermometer and 2 strip tape thermometers. I know I can adjust the calibration just wondering if anyone else has had their probe read a little off?

Quick Reply