Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #401
DeBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ha! I truthfully didn't even look for holes to "clamp" the wire in. I paid my way through college working in an auto customization shop so when I looked at the screws I automatically flashed back to amplifiers and proceeded accordingly. Each wire is very secure and there is no tension on any of them. I installed amplifiers in this exact way for a long time and never had one come loose even being beat to death in the trunk of every old school ghetto ride that came in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #402
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It doesn't look like stranded wire; it looks like solid copper wire which makes it good.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 10-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #403
DeBrewer
Recipes 

It is multi strand. Cut up extension cord.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #404
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just skimmed through this whole thread. I have a question regarding Amps - The Cord and Outlet/Socket I bought are 15 Amps. The unit is only capable of 10Amps. I know the power is contingent upon what my house is putting out, which might not be a full 15 amps, but if it does put out more than 10 amps, while this fry the controller? I think many posts ago someone said you could put a _______ (forget the term, but its like a reducer) on. Is this necessary? I am not an electrician.

Also, I believe it was Walker was talking about using a cell phone charge to run a DC fan... could someone elaborate on you that works? Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #405
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Just skimmed through this whole thread. I have a question regarding Amps - The Cord and Outlet/Socket I bought are 15 Amps. The unit is only capable of 10Amps. I know the power is contingent upon what my house is putting out, which might not be a full 15 amps, but if it does put out more than 10 amps, while this fry the controller?!
Your house is making 15amps available, but your freezer/refridgerator isn't drawing all 15 of those amps. Check the sticker on the back, most chest freezers draw under 5amps.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #406
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Your house is making 15amps available, but your freezer/refridgerator isn't drawing all 15 of those amps. Check the sticker on the back, most chest freezers draw under 5amps.
So, to confirm, the controller can be supplied way more then 10 amps, it will just fail if anything plugged into it draws over 10?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #407
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Correct! And if you drew more than 15A your breaker would trip.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #408
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Great, Thanks Wyzazz! Should wire this thing up by the weekend... then gotta build a box around my mini fridge...if only I had a truck to pick up fridges off of craigslist - I have seen so many under $50

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #409
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Wired it up! Works great, now to build the fermentation chamber box around my minifridge. If all goes well should have this chamber operational by the end of the weekend Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #410
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got my temp controller, and I'm going to wire this badboy up. Is 4x4x4 junction box sufficient?

Quick Reply