Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #391
seanoj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
Holy Batman! People reading these forum builds need to realize that just getting a controller does NOT get you something that is UL approved. What that means is that safety is up to the builder!

This is like wiring up electrical boxes in your house. The building codes used in wiring electrical boxes, which includes the types of wires, the boxes, and how the wires are connected, are there to prevent fires. The wiring methods and ground connections are designed to prevent shorts, and the box is designed to contain the heat/spark if one does occur.

Product design has a similar set of requirements in order to get UL or CSA approval. I highly recommend that those who question their abilities or knowledge of wiring either buy a plug and play unit or get help in building one of these. It's tempting, I know, to save a buck but house currents and voltages have caused homes to burn down.

Rich

Amen to that. I am not advocating Tupperware enclosures. In fact, I have done belt and suspenders safety on my stuff (fuses, GFCI, waterproof enclosures, outdoor rated switches, etc.) and still work with a lot of caution.

Just do what you think is right, and if you don't know, ask someone who does. Advice found here, and elsewhere on the internet, is often very valuable, but sometimes misguided and/or dangerous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #392
DeBrewer
Recipes 

Here is mine thanks to the great info in this thread. I am running two controllers, one for the cold side that my kegs are in and the other is for the warmer side for fermenting lagers etc... It's fairly simplistic in that it's two controllers, two outlets, and a big project box from Radio Hack. Here are some pics....

Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #393
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my controller died last week while i was on vacation, i don't know how many days it was down. the mead and cider is prolly all right, but the cheese, yeast and milk in the freezer is probably compost.
everything looks okay, display is on, but no power out to the plug.
i'll troubleshoot it tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #394
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBrewer View Post
Here is mine thanks to the great info in this thread. I am running two controllers, one for the cold side that my kegs are in and the other is for the warmer side for fermenting lagers etc... It's fairly simplistic in that it's two controllers, two outlets, and a big project box from Radio Hack. Here are some pics....
It looks really good!

just FYI, you have your receptacles wired incorrectly. The wire is not supposed to go around the screw, but rather go in the hole and then tighten the screw.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #395
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
It looks really good!

just FYI, you have your receptacles wired incorrectly. The wire is not supposed to go around the screw, but rather go in the hole and then tighten the screw.
That's not true; you can either push it in the hole (screw need not be tightened) or wrap around terminal like he did. I've done both when I have multiple wires coming into one recepticle. He's fine.

Note: Some recepticles do have a plate that squeezes the wire when the screw is tightened, but most just push in the hole and stay.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #396
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunabeer View Post

Note: Some recepticles do have a plate that squeezes the wire when the screw is tightened, but most just push in the hole and stay.
some do have the option of sticking the wire in (lazy electrician option), but i think that particular design does require that the screw be tightened.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #397
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah it looks that way. Either way he is fine. He has good secure contact.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #398
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The holes are only good for solid(non-stranded) wire.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #399
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wrapping stranded wire around a screw and tightening it does not make a good secure contact.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 10-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #400
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
wrapping stranded wire around a screw and tightening it does not make a good secure contact.
If you can pull on the wire & it doesn't move than I'd say it's just fine. It is in a sealed box after all, as long as there is some strain relief provided for the cords everything will be just peachy.

Keep in mind, this isn't a UL Listed appliance. We're just a bunch of folks making beer with inventive, DIY equipment in our garages.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply