New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #3801
seejayabney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
I got 2 of these 2 months ago. They were $18.00 at the time, and free shipping with a $25.00+ order total.

STC-1000

A search for "STC-1000" on Amazon should bring you numerous options. Beware, some may add shipping or be sent from overseas.
Perfect, thanks everyone. Time to order and get started! Starting off with a wee-heavy!


__________________
seejayabney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #3802
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
troy2000's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: , California
Posts: 509
Liked 180 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
Confirmed working, thanks for the help guys!

I added the lamps back in on the drawing, have not connected them yet since the STC is in use right now, but the revised diagram is below. My question is the combined lead (black line), should it go to port 2 as shown or port 1?

So far I am finding that the temperature is too low. The STC turns on the fridge when it hits the upper threshold I set and the fridge cools so fast that even after it shuts off the temp keeps lowering. I am saving some electricity bill but need to tweak the settings/thresholds/window a bit. I wanted a temp between 60-65 but when it kicks in at 65 it keeps getting down to around 55-56 before starting back up. Any good threads about the settings?
Your probe needs some thermal mass to work with. My mini-fridge conversion didn't work properly until I taped the probe directly to the side of a full carboy, and taped a patch of double foil-sided, bubble wrap insulation over it.

With the probe in the air, I was cycling between the heater and compressor; same when I tried dropping it into a 1-quart tea kettle of water. But with the probe taped to the carboy and insulated from the air, the temperature usually overshoots the set temp by .1*C.


Example: I'm fermenting a saison right now. My heater kicked in a few minutes ago, when the STC-1000 display had dropped to 25.5*C. It shut off at 26.0*C, and the temperature stopped rising at 26.1*C. Now it's flashing back and forth between 26.1 and 26.0...


__________________

"Ignorance is not an opinion."
-Dilbert

Drinking: Belgian Saison
Bottle conditioning: Belgian Saison
Fermenting: Belgian Saison
Fermenting #2: Lawnmower Saison

troy2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #3803
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 8,411
Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
[...]I added the lamps back in on the drawing, have not connected them yet since the STC is in use right now, but the revised diagram is below. My question is the combined lead (black line), should it go to port 2 as shown or port 1?[...]
The lamp wiring as shown is correct, the common node wants to be connected to the neutral line...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #3804
seejayabney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 19
Default

So I got my temp controller today and it was missing one of the orange tabs used to secure it. I am assuming that is a specialty piece that I cant pick up at radio shack. Any thoughts other than sending it back for another one?

__________________
seejayabney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #3805
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IslandLizard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 1,942
Liked 208 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayabney View Post
So I got my temp controller today and it was missing one of the orange tabs used to secure it. I am assuming that is a specialty piece that I cant pick up at radio shack. Any thoughts other than sending it back for another one?
Rats!

First, contact the seller. Maybe they can send you the missing tab, or remediate (giving you a discount). I know contacting sellers on Amazon is hit and, more often, miss.

On the other hand, once installed, a bead of hot glue will hold it in place too.

The unit may have been a return for whatever reason. So check if you see any signs of use. Like the way the probe wire is coiled and tied, missing plastic foil from the face etc.

When you're committed to keep it, you should test it to make sure it works, before building it in a box and gluing it down.
__________________
Preparing: Belgian Wit | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Some Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Raging Bitch Clone | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Caramel Amber Ale
IslandLizard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #3806
seejayabney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post

Rats!

First, contact the seller. Maybe they can send you the missing tab, or remediate (giving you a discount). I know contacting sellers on Amazon is hit and, more often, miss.

On the other hand, once installed, a bead of hot glue will hold it in place too.

The unit may have been a return for whatever reason. So check if you see any signs of use. Like the way the probe wire is coiled and tied, missing plastic foil from the face etc.

When you're committed to keep it, you should test it to make sure it works, before building it in a box and gluing it down.
I'll try contacting them. Also glad you mentioned to test it first. I was so frustrated by the missing tab that didn't even cross my mind.
__________________

The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough.

Bede Jarrett

seejayabney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #3807
chessking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Aurora, Co
Posts: 264
Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayabney View Post
So I got my temp controller today and it was missing one of the orange tabs used to secure it. I am assuming that is a specialty piece that I cant pick up at radio shack. Any thoughts other than sending it back for another one?
I agree with Islandlizard. Contact the seller first. I had one shipped from Hong Kong that the cold relay wouldn't work. I shot them an email describing the problem, and they sent me a new unit free of charge, and I kept the old one, that I now use for the temp readings only. Worth a shot.
__________________
chessking is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #3808
seejayabney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 19
Default Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
I agree with Islandlizard. Contact the seller first. I had one shipped from Hong Kong that the cold relay wouldn't work. I shot them an email describing the problem, and they sent me a new unit free of charge, and I kept the old one, that I now use for the temp readings only. Worth a shot.
Unfortunately I contacted the seller and they are having me mail back the one without the clip.

ALSO, has anyone actually included a 10Amp fuse in their set up shown from this DIY Instructable? http://nordeastbrewersalliance.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dual_stage_temp_controller_creation_instructions.p df

I went to radioshack and of course they had no idea what type of 10amp fuse to use and neither did I.
__________________
seejayabney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #3809
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,229
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

The Amazon STC-1000s are still below $20 (although I can't find them for $18 any more). Be careful to get the 110V model if you are in the USA. The Elitech is the one I have.

__________________
Magic Smoke brewhouse and grill

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table
alien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #3810
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IslandLizard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 1,942
Liked 208 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seejayabney View Post
Unfortunately I contacted the seller and they are having me mail back the one without the clip.

ALSO, has anyone actually included a 10Amp fuse in their set up shown from this DIY Instructable? http://nordeastbrewersalliance.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dual_stage_temp_controller_creation_instructions.p df

I went to radioshack and of course they had no idea what type of 10amp fuse to use and neither did I.
That's terrible, unless they pick up the shipping. Please post the name of that seller so we can avoid them.

Make sure the unit works before gluing or modifying it in any way.

There is no need for a fuse as long as you are not going to load the controller with more than 10A (= 1100 Watt @110V). So plugging in a 1500W space heater will certainly fry your STC-1000.

If you must, in a pinch you could use an "inline fuse," which you'd insert into the live (black) lead of your feed cable, inside the box. IMO it is unnecessary.


__________________
Preparing: Belgian Wit | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Some Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Raging Bitch Clone | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Caramel Amber Ale
IslandLizard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY temp controller build android DIY Projects 100 05-09-2013 01:14 PM
Control Fermentation temp with Aquarium Heater chemist308 General Techniques 20 12-14-2012 11:13 PM
question about "aquarium temperature controller" SamBrewer General Techniques 12 02-26-2011 06:30 PM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 04:30 PM
Brutus Build Controller Box? gruversm DIY Projects 9 03-27-2009 03:54 AM