Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #3751
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Any pictures? I'm curious how it looks and how ghetto it is.
The labels look crooked because I was laying out where to put them when I snapped this pic. I could have just used one controller, but I had two of them so I found a use for both. The pump controller was set up act as a safeguard in case something goes wrong during the mash, but gets more use as a mash temp monitor. I also use it to automatically start the recirc pump when the HLT reaches temp on the second of back to back batches. It actually looks a lot more ghetto than this now, because it got placed too close to a burner during a batch last year and everything got warped from the heat. A broken star-san bottle in my brewing supply tote also destroyed several of the labels, increasing the ghetto factor even further.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
alien Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3752
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmoore

the labels look crooked because i was laying out where to put them when i snapped this pic. I could have just used one controller, but i had two of them so i found a use for both. The pump controller was set up act as a safeguard in case something goes wrong during the mash, but gets more use as a mash temp monitor. I also use it to automatically start the recirc pump when the hlt reaches temp on the second of back to back batches.

image-2821837908.jpg

Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #3753
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just put pencil to paper and realized that if I make my BK do double duty as a HLT, I can jerry-rig a 2 vessel HERMS with improved wort chilling action for less than $500.

It will still have to wait until after Christmas, but this rocks.

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #3754
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
The labels look crooked because I was laying out where to put them when I snapped this pic. I could have just used one controller, but I had two of them so I found a use for both. The pump controller was set up act as a safeguard in case something goes wrong during the mash, but gets more use as a mash temp monitor. I also use it to automatically start the recirc pump when the HLT reaches temp on the second of back to back batches. It actually looks a lot more ghetto than this now, because it got placed too close to a burner during a batch last year and everything got warped from the heat. A broken star-san bottle in my brewing supply tote also destroyed several of the labels, increasing the ghetto factor even further.

That looks really nice actually. The melted case and "etched" labels are just to add that "industrial used" character. But you're replacing the tags, so it looks as good as new. Great idea, thanks for sharing that!
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #3755
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10
Hah! I'll see what I can do. No promises though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard

That looks really nice actually. The melted case and "etched" labels are just to add that "industrial used" character. But you're replacing the tags, so it looks as good as new. Great idea, thanks for sharing that!
I think you misunderstood, that pic is from the original build, not from me replacing the labels. I don't even have time to brew anymore, let alone to fix the labels. Trust me when I say it looks really ghetto today. The sad part is that it's still one of the less ghetto parts of my brew rig.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #3756
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

CAD freaks planning a build, check out this Sketchup model of the STC-1000:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sket...-enjoy-431892/

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #3757
boombrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sub'd for future reference

Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #3758
harry_the_face
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

So I am on page 51 and can't wait as I read through another 300 to find the answer.

Has anyone just wired the cooling side in place of the freezers thermostat? It seems a lot simpler and a lot less money because there is no extra pieces to buy. Then the heat can be wired to the heat side, install in the place of the dial thermostat and your good.

It is rated at 10 amps and my freezer is only 3.5 amps so it should work just fine.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #3759
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_the_face View Post
So I am on page 51 and can't wait as I read through another 300 to find the answer.

Has anyone just wired the cooling side in place of the freezers thermostat? It seems a lot simpler and a lot less money because there is no extra pieces to buy. Then the heat can be wired to the heat side, install in the place of the dial thermostat and your good.

It is rated at 10 amps and my freezer is only 3.5 amps so it should work just fine.
That is exactly what I did. Removing the fridge thermostat and wired the controller in its place. You still need to find a hot and a neutral to power the stc 1000. One benefit of this is my refrigerator light still comes on when I open the door regardless of the compressor being on or off.
You would still need to wire an outlet for the heat side. My unit is in a warm room, and heating is never a problem.
This is on an old analog fridge without any frost free crap. Newer digital units may not be as easy to wire.
img_4415-533x800-.jpg   img_4416-800x533-.jpg   img_4421-427x640-.jpg  

Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #3760
403Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is the main readout on the STC1000 showing current temperature? Or target temperature? I would like to get one just as a temperature monitor for now and then use it for temperature control down the road...is this possible? I know there are temp monitors for a bit cheaper

Quick Reply