Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #3741
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My bad. It's white & green that go to the plug. I just pulled apart my controller. I want to remove from the other side, that goes to the controller.

Thanks

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #3742
Beernik
Recipes 

Went in and clipped the bridge.

Now it's stuck on the default settings. I push the set button and change the temp, differential, delay, and calibration and the change isn't accepted.

Also, will this thing work with a 20W brewbelt?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #3743
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You have to push the power button after changing the settings for the new settings to be saved. And yes, it will work fine with a brewbelt.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #3744
Beernik
Recipes 

Weird. It didn't require me to do that when I first set it up. I think I somehow reset the defaults.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #3745
Beernik
Recipes 

Final update (I hope): I think I have it all troubleshot.

I when the fridge runs, the brewbelt does not get hot. I have verified that the brewbelt does still work. So clipping the bridge fixed the problem.

The controller is set where I want it.

I just moved a mead into it so that it can cold crash for bottling. Probably doesn't need it. It's been sitting on its 3rd racking for 3 months. But hey, it's another test and it puts it closer to where it will be bottled.

I put a folded paper towel over the probe and two sweaters over the mead's carboy. My probe and thermometer now read 0.1C apart. Which is what I think their differential is.

I also moved a bunch of beer bottles into it from a storage closet in my basement and from the kitchen fridge, freeing up a lot of space.

Finally losing my post-migraine irritability.

Sitting down to celebrate with a kolsch, which I can now start brewing my own in my new freezer.

Thanks to everyone for the info and help.

EDIT: I'm assuming the way the range on this thing works is like this:

If I set it at 10C and the differential at 1C. The fridge runs until it reaches 10C. Everything turns off.

If it drops below 9C, the heater kicks on. When it gets back to 10C, everything turns off.

If it rises above 11C, the freezer kicks on again until its below 10C.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #3746
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Final update (I hope): I think I have it all troubleshot....
Glad it is all working as it should. At least you were able to troubleshoot and give feedback. That's way better than "it doesn't work."

Quote:
I put a folded paper towel over the probe and two sweaters over the mead's carboy...
I put a piece of 3/8"-1/2" thick soft packaging foam over the probe, and a rope around the whole carboy to keep it in place. I guess a bungee would work.
What are the sweaters for? You think the carboy gets cold? Isn't that what we want?

Quote:
I also moved a bunch of beer bottles into it from a storage closet in my basement and from the kitchen fridge, freeing up a lot of space.
Is this a chest freezer? How do you stow bottles in there, in boxes?

Quote:
Finally losing my post-migraine irritability.
Finding what causes migraine helps in avoiding them. Bright, single light sources, e.g., harsh light without adequate fill, triggered mine. Even a computer screen in a dark room is a menace.

Quote:
Sitting down to celebrate with a kolsch, which I can now start brewing my own in my new freezer.
Although it's way better than nothing or babysitting messy swamp coolers, fermenting chambers like these can only handle one temperature at a time, so there are some limitations on what you can do. For example, lagering at low temps for extended time (2-3 months) prevents fermenting ales in the same space. Even cold crashing for 2 days interrupts the normal flow. Are you planning your brewing schedules very carefully?

I wish there was an easy solution, like a 3-6 cavity, independent temp controlled fermentation/conditioning/lagering setup for $300-$500. "packet's" thread on his DIY glycol chiller setup has brought forward some great ideas.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #3747
Beernik
Recipes 

It's usually bright light and computer screens that give me migraines. It didn't become a problem until I switched from designing on CAD (colored lines on a black background) to report writing (black text on white background). Now I have my screen set to either light blue or soft pink. It's helped a lot. I still get the random 2 or 3 a year with no apparent cause.

This is actually an upright freezer. I can adjust the shelving a little without too much work or crimping of coils. I just need to decide which shelf I'm going to permanently relocate. I thought the next to top would be great, but 22oz bottles don't fit on the bottom two shelves or the doors. 12oz go in the doors nice.

The sweaters are more for blocking light. I do my meads and Brett beers in glass carboys. I put them in the freezer to help insulate the probe from the air temp..

I'm keeping the probe and paper towel in place with painters blue tape.

My eventual plan is to upgrade to 8 gallon batches and have two 4 gallon fermenters sitting side by side. Until then, I'll probably do same day or back-to-back brew days of beers with the same yeast. That way they should have similiar temperature needs and cut my yeast cost in half.

If all else fails, I still have the basement closet that is at 68F almost year round and the cellar that I have fermented in seasonally (winter = lagers, summer = ales) for seven years.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #3748
Beernik
Recipes 

Has anyone used one of these to control a RIMS or HERMS? My build has been delayed a year. And the thought of using one of these to run a recirculating pump just occurred to me.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #3749
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Has anyone used one of these to control a RIMS or HERMS? My build has been delayed a year. And the thought of using one of these to run a recirculating pump just occurred to me.
I use two of the similar single stage units to control a ghetto HERMS.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #3750
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I use two of the similar single stage units to control a ghetto HERMS.
Any pictures? I'm curious how it looks and how ghetto it is.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Quick Reply