Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #3651
snaps10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It needs to do both so when it's too cold it heats and when it's too hot it cools. Temperatures fluctuate in most environments, so regulation is key. When it's too cold the temp controller will kick on the heater plug, when its too hot it will kick on the cooler plug.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #3652
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts

But heat really wouldn't be necessary for use within a freezer for the purposes balancing the temperature (given enough of a margin for temperature swing, say 2* F), would it?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #3653
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You would want both when the summers are hot and the winters are cold. Like in my case my fermenter a fridge on my back porch in GA. Where the temps range from the teens to the hundreds. I have the fridge hooked to the cold side and a ceramic heater mounted inside and hooked to the heat side. So theres no messing after its installed. I can tell my controller to stay at a certain temp and it does it through the entire year. It just makes things easier than moving everything around.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #3654
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts

So you put an aquarium heater or something similar in the refrigerator as well? Do you seal it in a container of water to help cut down on the water evaporating and condensing inside the refrigerator?

Last question...I promise...I didn't see if the swing in temperature could be programmed (but I may have missed it). I would prefer to be ale to control that so that I could avoid a constant fridge/heater/fridge/heater/fridge/heater cycle. Is that possible?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #3655
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes it is possible set number2 i think im not at home to chech

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #3656
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uatuba View Post
So you put an aquarium heater or something similar in the refrigerator as well? Do you seal it in a container of water to help cut down on the water evaporating and condensing inside the refrigerator?

Last question...I promise...I didn't see if the swing in temperature could be programmed (but I may have missed it). I would prefer to be ale to control that so that I could avoid a constant fridge/heater/fridge/heater/fridge/heater cycle. Is that possible?
No the temperature stays at 65 so theres no evaporating or condensing. If the temperature goes above the set tolerance range the fridge kicks on, if the temp gets below the heater is turned on. Your only talking about a few degrees of temp change. Putting the heater in an unsealed container of water will create condensation. The large quantities of liquid help to maintain a more constant temp. I havent ran mine for a full year yet, and right now since its July in Georgia, I dont have the heater plugged in, but When it gets into the colder months I will unplug the fridge, and plug in the heater.

Yes, there is a setting for temp variances, and theres a delay that can be set too. So you can tell it X is the desired temp Y is the +/- variance if the temp goes outside that variance wait Z minutes to turn on the compressor. Unless I am mistaken on how it works. The instructions are in very broken english.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #3657
eharris8310
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You are correct. On the STC 1000 the second setting (F2) is the differential in degrees Celscius. Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. BTW third and fourth settings are for compressor delay and calibration respectively.

Two Bassetts Brewing

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #3658
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I ordered mine tonight!! Can't wait I just picked up a chest freezer off of Craig's list for 50 bucks! , ill have to add a collar so I can set a 2nd carboy on the ledge over the compressor. Hopefully having controlled fermentation will help make my brews better! I love this hobby! I built my kegerator 1st for commercial kegs, then I picked up a home brew kit off of CL and have been upgrading everything for the last month . I built my stir plate the other day. I love tinkering on stuff, this is defiantly my favorite pastime ever!
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Old 07-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #3659
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Yup this stuff is like crack. You get hooked on a 25 dollar kit and 1000 bucks later your deciding what the next upgrade is gonna be. Mine is a walk in ferm chamber I can lager in during the hot part of the Florida summer. Wish me luck getting that past the SWMBO minister of finances....

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #3660
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Good luck lol. What part of Florida are you in? I'm jar south of Tampa in riverview / sun city center

Quick Reply