Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #3641
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I would advise it, best to be on the safe side.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #3642
sa1126
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yretsof View Post
Most refrigerators only have one compressor. Top/ bottom fridges use the "excess" cold air from the freezer to cool the fridge. If your compressor keeps turning on, I would check the temperature settings first, then the other parameters in the controller. Then the wiring. If it is hooked up like mine is, the fridge doesnt even get electricity untill it is above the set temperature+variance. You may have some wires crossed, somewhere.
The problem ended up being simple. I was trying to get my already cool fridge (45 degrees) to match the temp control which was throwing it off.

I turned off the fridge/temp controller and let it warm up to garage temp. I kicked it on to 25 Celsius and am right on the money inside. I'm so stoked to brew this weekend!

On draft: null
Coming soon: AHB session pale ale, dunkelweizen, rye blonde and oktoberfest

Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #3643
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You may want to tape the sensor directly to your carboy. I did this after it was cooled down, and with the georgia humdity outside, it quickly began to sweat, which made it impossibable for the tape to stick to it. I found I had to wrap duct tapetl l the way around the carboy. And stick it to its srlfx mk

Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #3644
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Yretsof, I am concerned. It appears you were strangled before you finished your post. I thought about calling the police, but I fear I am too late...

Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #3645
Yretsof
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lol, thanks for your concern. Long days at work, beginning at 5 am. And a couple of beers makes for a drowsy boy. I was apparently dozing off while posting that. So I will clarify, I tried to tape the sensor to the glass carboy, after it had been in the fermenter for about 3 days but the humidity was causing profuse sweating, therefore even the almighty duct tape wouldnt stick. So I ended up having to wrap the duct tape all the way around the carboy so that it would stick to its self. I am going to brew an irish red this weekend and will probably fashion an elastic belt to hold the sensor in place.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #3646
BrewingChemist
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 68

just wired one up for my keezer to be! laser cut some abs plastic to make a project box and am going to hook it up tomorrow night! too tired from working on my keggle to deal with it tonight! thanks for the pics - reallly helped me, as i had never wired anything up before! the one thing i had trouble with was the jumper between the cold and the hot - i had no idea what it was!! some knowledgeable friends pointed it out and all was well! thanksa gain!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #3647
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yretsof View Post
Lol, thanks for your concern. Long days at work, beginning at 5 am. And a couple of beers makes for a drowsy boy. I was apparently dozing off while posting that. So I will clarify, I tried to tape the sensor to the glass carboy, after it had been in the fermenter for about 3 days but the humidity was causing profuse sweating, therefore even the almighty duct tape wouldnt stick. So I ended up having to wrap the duct tape all the way around the carboy so that it would stick to its self. I am going to brew an irish red this weekend and will probably fashion an elastic belt to hold the sensor in place.
I put the probe against the carboy/keg, put about 5 layers of bubble wrap over it, then use a bungee cord around the entire carboy/keg. No sticky residue from tape that way and it holds no matter what temp/moisture is inside the keezer. Works well for me!

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #3648
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
I put the probe against the carboy/keg, put about 5 layers of bubble wrap over it, then use a bungee cord around the entire carboy/keg. No sticky residue from tape that way and it holds no matter what temp/moisture is inside the keezer. Works well for me!
I use wide, blue painters tape. If the fermenter is reasonably dry, it works perfectly, with no residue. About a 10 inch piece does the trick. I have done this for about a year with never a problem.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #3649
tryn2brew
On the road again
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a sponge over the probe, and a velcro strap around the carboy to hold it all in place.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #3650
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Question: why does it need to both heat and cool simultaneously (and how can it) when there is only one temperature control? Am I misreading? Or is it merely so that you don't have to rewire everything when switching from the need for cold to the need for heat? You just move the temperature probe to the carboy needing regulated, and if you need heat, you plug in your space heater to the warm plug, whereas if you need cold, you put it in the freezer and plug it in to the cold plug? And what is the deal with airplane food?

I'm about to start lagering and was eyeballing the Johnson digital, but I really like this look and feel and think it may very well last longer based on some of the Johnson reviews I've read.

Sorry for the potentially dumb questions. I like to keep things simple (not necessarily easy, but not overdone for what we are trying to accomplish as home brewers), so you'll never see me with a cold-fusion atomic accelerating perpetual motion automated brewery...but I do want to be able to control temperature effectively.

Quick Reply